iTunes Library Damaged/Corrupt after Computer Crash

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ezsober, Feb 3, 2006.

1. ezsober macrumors member

I was using Azareus and my comptuer did that skizoid thing Macs sometimes do when you use azareus (when the computer freezes and tells you to restart by holding down the power key in like 6 languages framed by a rectangular black box). I have a 15 inch powerbook which is three years old.

When I started up again, my iTunes library file was corrupt/unreadable. iTunes informed me that my library was unreadable, created a new library, and renamed the old one "iTunes Library (Damaged)." All my music is still present on my hard drive. But the library is wasted. I confess I don't know much about xml (which I've seen some people reference in other threads). Basically, is my library caput, including my times played and ratings info? Do I have to reimport all the music I have on my hard drive into iTunes anew? Is there anyway to salvage any of the iTunes data like ratings or playlists?

Thanks. Any suggestions much appreciated.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You had a kernel panic, that sucks.

As for the library, it's not the XML file you're after, it's the regular iTunes Library data file. Close iTunes, drag the iTunes Library file to the Desktop, rename the Previous iTunes Library data file to simply iTunes Library and reopen iTunes. If that doesn't work (and iTunes seems to think it won't) then sorry but you'll probably have to reimport everything and remake your playlists. :eek:

Good luck with it all. :)

3. ezsober thread starter macrumors member

Syncing Meta Data w/ iPodRip

I've managed to sync some of the meta data with my ipod using iPodRip. However, it only managed to sync about a quarter of the data. Any further attemtps cause the program to freeze. Are there any other apps out there that facilitate syncing meta data like iPodRip?