iTunes Library (Damaged) - How do I retrieve all my playlists?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by highres, Jan 2, 2007.

1. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

I had iTunes 7.0.2 open playing music, I then received a hard crash or system freeze. I restarted and opened iTunes again and received the message, "iTunes Library File Damaged", iTunes then finished booting up and showed a blank window with no music, playlists, etc.

I had playlists for over 16,500 mp3's or about 65 GB of music. Unfortunately I don't backup my Library file very often and the last backup was 6 months ago, so S.O.L. there.

Question: Does anybody know how to recover my playlists from the damaged library file?

I've done a pretty thorough search of the different forums I frequent and haven't found a solution. Inevitably somebody who is trying to "help" always gives me advice on how to transfer my playlists from my iPod to my G5 which doesn't apply to my situation at all.

If you don't know the answer please don't reply. Comments like, "You should back up your data more often", or "I don't know the answer, but..." aren't helpful, so save those little jewels for another thread please.

2. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

Delete your version of iTunes, and then download the latest iTunes version from Apple.

You'll find your library by clicking on Finder, then follow this path: music/iTunes/iTunes Music

Once you've located your music files, drag them down to your new iTunes icon in your dock or in your applications folder.

3. highres thread starter macrumors 6502a

highres

Thanks for your prompt reply, I will give this a try right now. I'm praying I don't lose all the hours and literally days of typing out playlists, adding ratings and typing comments!

4. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not sure this will work, but might be worth a try (before reinstalling):

Do you still have the iTunes Music Library.xml file in your ~/Music/iTunes/ folder?

If so you could try using File -> Import..., then choosing (preferably a copy of) that file and try to rebuild your playlists that way...

Edit: You really should back up your data more often... ;)

6. highres thread starter macrumors 6502a

highres

I have both the .xml file and the iTunes Libaray file so I'll give this a try before reinstalling iTunes and trying the bait and switch with my old, "damaged", renamed, Library File.

hahaha... I knew that somebody would just HAVE to go there, thanks for the help though.