iTunes Library damaged

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kboller07, Mar 24, 2007.

1. kboller07 macrumors member

Mar 24, 2007
    Hey I was wondering if someone could help me with iTunes. I have the latest one installed on a macbook pro. But every so often it says library crashed and everything deletes. I had a copied version of the itunes library before when it was working fine but even when i use that instead it says damaged and changes the name to itunes library damaged. I delete everything and add the songs all over again and they work fine but when I shut down itunes and restart it says that its damaged again. The last time I had to reinstall os x so it would stop acting funny. But 4 days later its at it again. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Anything would be greatly appreciated.
  2. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

May 2, 2005
    Wheaton/Normal, IL
    Even one corrupted file can crash your entire library. My question would be... where do you get your music?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Even pirated music shouldn't really corrupt your library. Do you have any themes, add ons or widgets associated with iTunes? :)
  4. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    Canada's South Coast
  5. telecomm macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    Have you tried the steps here to rebuild the library (rather than just reuse a copy of the troublesome library).
  6. kboller07 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 24, 2007
    I think its when I use quicktime to play a nuked video file that I downloaded. It damages itunes and resets my dock and all of my applications. There is no real alternative but to reinstall mac os x.
  7. iBenzin macrumors member

Mar 9, 2007
    If you set up for iTunes to copy all your music in to Music folder, then just delete the corrupt iTunes Library Data File and set up a new library to reimport from the Music>iTunes Folder.
  8. islandman macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2006
    And then make a backup of your iTunes Library at least weekly, or when you make major imports.