Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orb123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Every two or three weeks my playlist and library delete themselves. Then I add my music again to the library, create the playlist again but 3 weeks later they delete themselves again.. Is there any solution for this?

Thanks,

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
I don't know what makes your computer do that. It's really strange. But when you make a backup of the following two files inside the iTunes folder, you can recreate the original state as soon as it happens again:

iTunes Music Library.xml
iTunes Library

By the way, have you tried to reinstall iTunes?

orb123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
They are 2 Ipods, 4th gen, I use mine with OSX and my sister's one works on the PC. The problem happens on the PC, I thought it could be some configuration problem in the Ipod or Itunes. Ive reinstalled Itunes several times but the problem still is there.

Ive exported the library and saved as a xml file in the Itunes folder but when the problem happens again I cant open the .xml.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
I guess you're not supposed to open the .xml-file. When your library disappears, you can replace the corrupted .xml-file in the iTunes folder by the backup version. Then just start iTunes.

Don't know if that works on the PC as well, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.