iTunes library deleting itself

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by orb123, Feb 17, 2007.

1. orb123 macrumors newbie

Every two or three weeks my playlist and library delete themselves. Then I add my music again to the library, create the playlist again but 3 weeks later they delete themselves again.. Is there any solution for this?

Thanks,

2. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

I don't know what makes your computer do that. It's really strange. But when you make a backup of the following two files inside the iTunes folder, you can recreate the original state as soon as it happens again:

iTunes Music Library.xml
    iTunes Library

By the way, have you tried to reinstall iTunes?

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

4. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Of course he's running OS X. Otherwise he would post his question on PCrumors. :p

5. orb123 thread starter macrumors newbie

They are 2 Ipods, 4th gen, I use mine with OSX and my sister's one works on the PC. The problem happens on the PC, I thought it could be some configuration problem in the Ipod or Itunes. Ive reinstalled Itunes several times but the problem still is there.

Ive exported the library and saved as a xml file in the Itunes folder but when the problem happens again I cant open the .xml.

6. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

I guess you're not supposed to open the .xml-file. When your library disappears, you can replace the corrupted .xml-file in the iTunes folder by the backup version. Then just start iTunes.

Don't know if that works on the PC as well, though.