iTunes Library Help: Organize by multiple criteria?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ISeemToBeAVerb, Aug 31, 2005.

1. ISeemToBeAVerb macrumors newbie

I am wondering if it is possible to organize my iTunes library by multiple criteria. For instance: Right now my library is organized by Artist so that all albums by that artist appear next to each other. A problem arrises when I add compilation albums because the artist is different on each track. At present, I am forced to change the artist name to Various Artists so that the album will appear in the library as it should.

What I would like to do is arrange most of my library by Artist, while being able to arrange compilation albums by Album. Is this possible? Does anyone know of a way to go about this?

Thank you.

Verb

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Are the Compilations marked as such? Have you checked the "Group compilations when browsing" in iTunes preferences (which will give you a Compilations choice in the Artists window)?

3. ISeemToBeAVerb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I do have the "Group Compilation" checked in prefs.

This option still does not give me what I am looking for. Even with this pref checked my compilations still appear out of numerical order, and it does nothing in the actual Library view.

I am looking for a solution that will allow my compilations to appear in the actual library (not the browse feature) in numerical order and grouped as Album, while allowing me to group my other albums by Artist so that their discographies are all grouped together.

Does this make sense? I can try and elaborate more if this is confusing.

Verb

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I understand what you want, but I don't think there's an easy way this could be done, even if iTunes had better database capabilities (which I would like, btw). Sorry, but unless you use the browsing feature, then the best solution might be two different playlists, one with compilations and another with the rest... if no-one has made some elaborate script that makes this possible... ;)