iTunes library in two places?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macmama, Mar 30, 2007.

1. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

Hi friends,

I've checked the archives here for song duplicating problems, but I've not found the answer to my query. So here's the story:

I have 11.1 gig of music. However, when I use WhatSize, it reveals that I have 22.3 gig in my music folder. Here's a screen shot. So when I deleted the second folder of music (but not the first; mistake btw, as it axed my purchased music, thankfully only a few tunes on this comp) then went back to iTunes, none of the songs could be played as it told me the original file could not be found.

So I copied (manually, as "import" in iTunes wouldn't let me do more than one at a time) from my music folder into iTunes (via dragging to the icon in the dock). This got all my music back (save the nuked purchased music) but now I'm stuck with the 22.3 gig again.

Thoughts? :confused:

2. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

make a new folder and set it as your iTunes music folder, then consolidate your library, then delete everything else

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

when you import a song, see if iTunes is copying the music into the iTunes folder. What it's probably doing is taking all of your music, copying it into the iTunes folder, and then ignoring where it is in the ~/music folder. Try taking all of the folders in ~/music EXCEPT the iTunes folder and move em elsewhere, then open iTunes and see if it can find your music. It's just doubles. :)

4. macmama thread starter macrumors regular

macmama