iTunes Library Management

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adamb100, Jul 9, 2006.

1. adamb100 macrumors regular

I deleted a song from my libary and told iTunes to trash it but I see it in my Music folder still. Why?

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Dunno, sounds like maybe you have a duplicate? What happens if you delete it from the music folder directly (drag it to the Trash)?

3. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

when you delete a song it will ask you if you want to move it to the trash, if you just hit return it will leave a copy in your music folder but delete it from the iTunes music library.

however, if you told it to move the file to the trash and it didnt...well thats a different story.

deleting a song in your library is a two step process though. and rightly so. wouldnt want to accidentally delete something you want now would you? ;)

4. adamb100 thread starter macrumors regular

I found out why, iTunes keeps a copy of the music inside the iTunes folder in the Music folder.

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yeah, but if you deleted it from iTunes and it asked you to confirm it, and you did, it should remove its copy (the one inside the Music folder).

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Not if the copy of the file it's linked to is not the original. If you have iTunes set to copy all new mp3s into its own directory, it'll only delete the files from there.

You can turn off copying in the preferences, which should solve your problem.

7. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Right, but the OP said that it was in the Music folder, which should be iTunes' copy, shouldn't it?