iTunes Library On Internal HD or External

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Tuned MP5T, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Tuned MP5T macrumors regular

Just wondering where everyone keeps their iTunes Library on the C:/ drive or use another drive for storage?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Mine's on both - one's a backup for the other. Speed-wise, doesn't matter.

3. brap macrumors 68000

I have a copy of my library on my PC hard drive (read: not on the system partition!), and a backup on my LaCie D2.
    iTunes on my Powerbook is set to run directly from the backup drive, since I don't like holding too much data on the laptop.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Three places: Internal HD, backed up to external HD, backed up to 3 DL DVDs. (Amazing how 380+ CDs' worth of music can be backed up to *3* discs, but there you go...)

5. Tuned MP5T thread starter macrumors regular

For example take the Mac Mini it has only one Firewire connection. If the iPod connects thru this connection and the music is on external HD via USB 2.0. Does it have any affect on speed and quality of sound?

6. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Well, to be specific, I keep it on a secondary internal drive. However I should point out that unless you were talking about your Windows PC, I keep mine on a volume called "Spanky" mounted at /Volumes/Spanky, not the C:\ drive. I haven't typed that for about 10 years now...

:D

7. isaacc7 macrumors regular

External

I have a 160GB drive on my FrankenMac file server. I can mount it from my laptop if I want, or use the file server as a music server, it's a good system:)

Isaac

8. expergo macrumors regular

i store it on my fw drive.

ok..question. right now...i put my ibook to sleep every night and then turn off my fw drive. but also, sometimes during the day i turn off my fw drive as well cause it's loud...but before i eject it, i have to always turn off itunes or else if i don't, itunes will revert back to the /username/music/itunes folder for the itunes folder and i always have to change it back when i plug my fw drive in. is there a way to avoid this? i knwo it just takes 2 secs to quit itunes...but doing it so often gets annoying. kind of annoying like having winxp with expose. haha. :)

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I have mine external (35gig) and it works fine. I also have a second backup of it as well as copies of all my music burnt chronologically to DVD and kept at work.

It works fine BUT the drive is a bit noisy (Lacie 250gig)...

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

You must quit iTunes first... it's not nice to suddenly yank an app's database while it's running. Why not just tell the disk to "sleep when inactive"?

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I just partitioned my emac 160gb HDD so that about 120gb is used solely for data storage. I have a Maxtor One-Touch 120Ggb HDD USB 2 drive that will serve as the back up for that partition.

12. expergo macrumors regular

well, it's not running per se. ti's just on. its' not playing anyhting.

that checkbox is checked. but for some reason it doesn't sleep...i remember the one ni had before would sleep after like 10min. but this one doesn't...i'm using the macally one. i thought ti'd be more mac compitable. heh. it also doesn't go to sleep when i put my ibook to sleep.

i guess i should start a new thread...

13. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I have 5GB worth of music, and about 1GB worth of pics. I have them all on my 17" PB, oncew i get a bigger music collectiom (20-30GB) i might then put it on my external hard drive (portable one).