iTunes library on NAS, deliver music directly to Receiver?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by palmerc2, May 9, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

Feb 29, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Ok so here's the skinny.....I currently use my Receiver with built in AirPlay to stream my iTunes library to it (mostly ripped in Apple Lossless). I'm going to get a NAS drive, and hookup to my network. I'm doing this to put my iTunes library on it. I'm going to get some awesome speakers and I don't want to lost audio quality / fidelity from steaming, as my iMac is wireless.

So here's my hang up...right now I can't help but think if I just do it this way, it's gonna go like this:
    NAS drive > computer (wireless) > receiver. Which will lose quality right?

What I'd like is to be able to go:
    NAS drive > receiver

Here's the thing, I'd still like to use the Apple Remote App for my iOS devices to control the music, or a similar app.

Is there another device anyone recommends I can use to achieve this?
  2. macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012
    Don't think so.

iTunes has to be running *somewhere." I don't think there is any NAS out there with a built-in iTunes server, or any receiver with such intelligence.

If WIFI bothers you, can't you just hardwire the iMac and the receiver?

Another option is, bypass iTunes altogether, buy a NAS with a built-in DLNA server, some receiver will have DLNA connectivity but am not sure whether u can control them via IOS, or do I know what the interface looks like, and/or easy/hard to use.
  3. macrumors member

Oct 15, 2008
    Just connect some Sonos Hardware to your Amp and tell the Sonos System the Path to your Media Library on your Nas.

Sonos will categorize your Music itself. You are also able to use a Music Flat ala Napster with Sonos and the iOS App is awesome...
  4. macrumors 68030

Dec 18, 2007
    NY State of mind
    Synology and Thecus have had iTunes servers built-in for years...along with several other NAS brands. The harder part is most receivers don't understand a raw iTunes network stream
  5. macrumors member

Mar 9, 2012
    Poland, Warsaw and Masurian Lake District
    Take a look at Synology DS Audio app. You can play music directly from NAS to receiver as long as it has AirPlay function.
  6. macrumors newbie

Jun 26, 2009
    Going with Sonos Connect

Thanks to
    Marlboro for suggesting Sonos. Exactly what I was looking for.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2013
    Yes, some of the NASs have "iTunes Server" built in, which work great with audio. It's only video that you have to find alternate methods for.
  8. macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2014
    actually i purchased another apple tv this week, and have all my video and music content on my Synology NAS

By using DS Video and DS audio apps, i can use my android (ios as well) phone to browse collection then send to receiver via apple tv.

If no ATV then as long as the receiver can use DLNA the synology also works out of the box.