iTunes Library Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tuned MP5T, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Tuned MP5T macrumors regular

Where do you guys keep your iTunes Library? on the internal HD or on a external HD? I'm planning on getting the 80GB Mac Mini and was wonder what are the negatives if you keep it on the internal HD? Does it make apps run slower?

2. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

Hi,

By default, iTunes puts its library in ~/Music/iTunes. The tilde signifies your Home directory. That's where I've got mine, and it has never caused a performance hit. Actually, it makes it easier to keep multiple Macs in sync. I used to keep my music on a second hard drive, and that became a real pain in the butt. It's fine right where iTunes wants to put it. Enjoy your new Mac Mini!

Regards,
    Marc

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I would put my iTunes library on my internal drive if I didn't encode everything in Apple Lossless and I didn't have 10,000+ songs to convert. My library's at around 21 GB and it's only going to get bigger - I'll probably exceed 100 GB when all the converting is done. My internal drive only holds 80 GB (74.5 GB real-world capacity), and about 18 GB is being used.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

I would agree that it is primarily a disk space issue. You shouldn't see any performance hits regardless of if you store it internally or on a firewire attached drive.

5. Eastend macrumors 6502

I second or third it whatever. Should not hurt you at all on the internal disk.
    It's just a question of space, I keep mine on a external disk because it's just CD extraction, so it's heavy and I already have over 200 GB full. I have a friend who has over 500 GB, it is just a space issue.

Brian

6. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Correct. This is not like Windows where the system slows down when you use up space on the hard drive. BTW, I keep mine in my music folder, because I use my iBook as a mobile DJ, and it's just easier to reference my other music playing apps to the music folder.