itunes library referencing external fw hd

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mashinhead, Oct 14, 2006.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

So i migrated the bulk of my library to an external hd that is connected to my macbook. I have used it to point to files in aperture, so the library is on that external drive, and it works, but when i point the folder on the external in itunes nothing happens.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

You went into the itunes preference and pointed it at the exact place on the external where your music is stored?

Did you see a progress bar come up over itunes and asking you to fix it up for you?

Did you create a new folder and put the files in it or did you drag the itunes folder to the external?

Read this
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301748

Bless

3. Mustafa macrumors regular

I think this pinpoints your problem. I believe that you have to have all of your music in one place, and then tell iTunes in Preferences where that is.

I have all mine on an external HD -- works fine.

4. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

this is a wierd solutiong but i'm guessing it works. thanks

5. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

well here is the catch, if i use it a home its not a problem, but sometimes i take just the laptop, if i add music or pics, when its not attatched to the external, and i bring it back home how do i sync apeture and itunes libraries, because i want everything in one place, do i just do consolidated again, or do i have to manually do it? or will it do it automatically, because the settings are pointing toward the external anyway, if you get what i'm saying, how do you think it will play out. does it change where it points to if i unplug the external, back to the original settings?

6. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

ok this is driving me insane i'm trying to put everything in one place and access in the itunes window, i have a limited amount of music on the laptop now, 2 gb. and the rest on the external. i followed the link you sent me and all it did was copy the two gigs from the laptop not the rest of it. i have another folder on the external that i think now has everything in it, but when i select it in the preferences window, it doesn't do anything, all the songs aren't displayed in itunes just the 2gbs that are there now.

and the way it consolidates almost made me think i lost everything, i freaked out. Anyway long story short

everything is in one place
    itunes points to that place
    itunes doesn't display everything in that place