itunes library sharing on home network

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by advres, Jan 30, 2005.

1. advres Guest

advres

Hello,

I am pretty good with computers but I am a dunce when it comes to networking. Here is my problem.

My room mate has the cable modem in his room. He has that plugged into a router and cables stretch all around the house to everyones rooms. What I did since I have a powerbook was use my old existing wireless router and just plugged that in to the cable coming in my room so I can have wireless access around the general vicinity of my room.

All is fine and well up to this point but here is where I am completely baffled. Everything works fine when I am running wirelessly except I can not access anyones itunes libraries. SOMETIMES I get one of my room mates libraries but none of the other room mates. If I plug my powerbook in to the cable that is coming directly from his router I now can access all the room mates libraries no problem.

I tried messing around with the airport settings in system prefs and I connected to my wireless router and tried changing some settings in there to no avail. I know this has to be able to work and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

You have to be on the same subnet to share iTunes. Your wireless router is running DHCP; so is the cable modem router. The wired network is a separate subnet from your wireless network. Turn off DHCP on your wireless router and let the wired router give you your IP address, then you'll be on the same subnet as everyone else and can share iTunes. I would wager that the follow that you *do* manage to share with is getting on your wireless network somehow.

HTH

3. advres thread starter Guest

advres

did not work

I turned my DCHP off on my wireless router and it didn't work as expected. Looks like I need a network guru to come over and fix it... arghh

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Did you release the DHCP lease you had on your Mac? You have to release your original "wireless" DHCP lease and get a new IP from the wired router. What IP address do you have and what IP addresses are being given out on the wired network (the netmask would be helpful, too).

5. advres thread starter Guest

advres

I may not have clicked thew renew DHCP lease. I did change to configure manually and applied the settings and then I went back to DHCP on my mac and applied the settings. This forced the mac to get new IP and subnet masks but then it left the router space blank... I'm confused!

When I am hooked up wirelessly... my settings are as follows:
    IP: 192.168.0.101
    subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

When I am hooked up to the cable my settings are:
    IP: 192.168.1.105
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

I don't understand what is going on. When I tried to turn off the DHCP in my wireless router, I couldn't connect back to the internet. By turning this off am I in essence turning it into just a plain old access point? If so then why is this not working?

thanks for the help man!

6. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Sounds like your default router address isn't being set. What router address do you get when you are hooked to the wired network? I suspect it is 192.168.1.1. Whatever it is on the wired network, that's what you want to set on your Mac. Without your wireless router providing DHCP, what IP address are you getting on the Mac?