iTunes library size...weird...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aboutthat, Jan 31, 2006.

1. aboutthat macrumors regular

So, according to iTunes, my library is 14.5 GB of music. According to finder and the info on the 'iTunes Music' folder, my library is about 23.51 GB. Any reason why there's almost a 10 GB difference between the two?! I'm so confused...:(

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Probably due to not always trashing songs when deleting them from your iTunes library.

Time to consolidate your library to a new location (then you can clean up and consolidate back, if you want to). :)

3. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

It's possible that when removing something from your library at some point in time, you chose the default selected button on the pop-up that tells iTunes to "keep files" rather than "move to trash"

I'm not sure how you could easily remedy that problem, but a quick search should tell you if you have a different number of files in your iTunes music folder compared to in the iTunes database.

Personally, I don't understand why the "keep files" option is the default, but hopefully you can take care of the issue...

reality

edit: looks like Mitthrawnuruodo beat me to it and provided a solution, but I was still right... :eek:

4. aboutthat thread starter macrumors regular

A possibility, but I don't think so...I always click that little box to delete files as I remove them from the library and I haven't done much with my library recently. I had a HD failure maybe about a month or two ago, so I had to pull all of the music off my iPod, meaning I should only have about 14-15 GB on there. I've only added about 3 CDs to my library since then, so I have no clue how this all happened hehe!

5. aboutthat thread starter macrumors regular

Totally agree that the 'keep files' option should not be the default...I hate checking that little button every time.

How can I search the number of individual songs in my iTunes music folder without going through each folder? Selecting all the folders and pulling up their info yields only the fact that I have 906 folders and says nothing about the content therein...

6. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

Sorry to ressurect this thread, but I think I'm having the same problem. I have tonnes of files that i've deleted but accidentally hit 'enter' to 'keep files'.
    So presumably I've got around 3 years of deleted files somewhere.

How do I clean out my library?

7. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

^^^ are they not still in your iTunes library folder?