iTunes Library Storage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CommonMan, Oct 25, 2006.

1. CommonMan macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2006
    I've got an older Mac with a 6 gb HD. I added a 120 gb external HD because I was going to be adding a lot of music files from another computer and I knew that the 6gb HD drive would be quickly consumed.

Since I use an iPod and like to play music from my Mac at home, I added many pieces of music to iTunes. Then I realized it was the songs on iTunes that were occupying all the space on my "start-up" HD or my primary internal HD. So, it appears that everytime I add a song to iTunes from my external (storage) disk, it is replicated on the computer's HD. This does not seem to be very efficeint.

I was told I could somehow configure iTunes to store the music in the iTunes Library on a HD other than the primary HD in the computer. So, I would like to do this. I would like to change things so that all of the music files that are in the iTunes library (or any of the iTunes folders) are on my external HD not my internal HD and therefore free up space on my internal HD.

The only things I want to keep on the internal HD are the items that are absolutely necessary - like the operating system and the fundamental application files (which are probably part of the OS). I wonder how much space OS-X panther takes up?

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England