itunes library tarnsfer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by budaapple, Jul 15, 2004.

1. budaapple macrumors regular

I transferred my itunes library from my laptop to my desktop since I sold my IB. I now want to transfer it back onto my new PB. Can someone walk me thru the process.
    Thanks

2. budaapple thread starter macrumors regular

any help here with itunes transfer

I need help with transferring my itunes library, please!!!!!

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Easiest way.
    Connect the two computers by ethernet cord. Mount your desktop on your pb. Open iTunes on your pb. File-add to library.., select the music folder on your desktop..
    Thats it.

cheers

4. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Can't you just connect them via firewire and copy the entire 'iTunes' folder from inside one 'music' folder the other? That way you keep all your playlists and stuff, because you'r e not just re-importing music.

5. budaapple thread starter macrumors regular

yea thats it

I know you can firewire the two together and transfer but what is the process. I want to make sure that the tunes I bought online will show up with all their label info and play properly on the new PB. Seems like I did this before and it kept asking for a pw every time a downloaded song came up in shuffle rotation. Any more help and steps to accomplish thisare greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Whoops- yeah, well I forgot about purchased music. That I don't know, as I've never actually bought anything from the iTMS. Guess I'm no help after all.

7. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

You you purchaded music from your desktop you cant trasfer it to your "Purchased Music" on your laptop, it will only be inthe "Library". It dose not matter to me since i use my library most of teh time.

8. budaapple thread starter macrumors regular

come on macophiles I challenge thee

:) I know someone out there knows the best and easiest way to do this transfer. Whomever is correct will win a prize? :D

9. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Well as I understand it, you can authorize 5 computers. So it shouldn't ask you for password if you play the purchased songs on your pb, it would automatically authorize it, unless you already have 5 computers. Although I can't test this theory.

10. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Okay: here's how you do it:

Power down your desktop.
    Connect your new PB to the desktop with a FireWire Cable. Your desktop must have built-n FW and be running OS X.

Power up your desktop, and immediately press and hold the T key until you see a FW symbol on the screen.

You will see the name of you your start-up hard drive on your PB.

Now, make sure iTunes is NOT running. Navigate your desktop's HD until you find your iTunes folder. Copy the iTunes Music folder (the one containing all the folders with artist names) and then navigate to your PB's music folder, find the iTunes folder and paste it. It will ask you if you want to replace the current file with the new one. Click yes. Now, go back to your desktop's HD, navigate to the same folder you just copied from, and copy the iTunes music library file and paste it to the folder you just paseted to in your PB. Next, copy the iTunes music Library XML file from your desktop HD and paste it to the PB iTunes folder. Again, click replace when it asks you if you want to replace currrent files on the last two paste jobs.

You can now eject your desktop's volume from your PB. Make sure you are connected to the internet.
    Launch iTunes. Before you do anything, go to the menubar, click advanced and authorize your PB.

You should now see all your music and all your playlists. Exactly as they appear on your desktop computer.