itunes library x2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by withbatedbreath, Oct 17, 2006.

1. withbatedbreath macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2006
    when i bought my new mac, i transferred all my music to itunes, some by dropping it right into the library, and some by going into the "Find folder" option. i didn't realize at the time that when i dropped it in, it was automatically making copies of the music in the itunes folder, so i also kept the original folders. now i can't remember which ones have are in the special itunes folder, and which are just in the music folder. i want to delete the duplicates since it could be more than 5G, is there an easy way to find out which ones are saved twice?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    The saved/copied files will be in a single location that is listed in the Advanced pane of iTunes Preferences. Music found outside of this folder can be deleted. However, maybe use the Consolidate Library feature from the Advanced menu first, just to ensure it's all there.

If you're worried about deleting anything, then just drag it to the Trash and refrain from emptying. This will have the same effect as deleting it but with the safety of being able to bring it back later if need be. :)