itunes library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by realestcib, Feb 27, 2006.

1. realestcib macrumors newbie

hello..i have this problem wit my library that wen i plug in my ipod video, watever songs i add to my library they go to my ipod icon and whenever i try to update my ipod itunes shows an error message and shuts down..i think it has somthing to do wit the videos..does ne one know why theres liek 2 libraries and why it shutsdown when i update it?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What does the error message say? :)

Also, what's the computer and iPod type?

3. realestcib thread starter macrumors newbie

its the video ipod and my comp is a dell wit windows xp
    the message jus says it has encountared a problem and needs to close everytime i try to update it..or delete this one movie file

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

and delete that movie file (out of the iTunes Library at least) before you reconnect the iPod.

6. realestcib thread starter macrumors newbie

i cant delete it..everytime i try itunes crashes

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, find the file in Explorer and move it elsewhere. Then go back into iTunes and retry deleting it. If this works, don't bother with a restore (obviously). :)

8. realestcib thread starter macrumors newbie

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

10. realestcib thread starter macrumors newbie

and whenevr i try to restore my ipod it says cant install firmware on connected ipod and the ipod hardware and the updater firmware is not compatible

11. realestcib thread starter macrumors newbie

yea but even if i delete it on my comp wont it still be in my library??

12. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

there'll be a reference to it in your library yes, but hopefully without the original it won't crash when you select it for deletion

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you delete it from the computer, you'll still get a link to it from iTunes but it'll have a grey exclamation mark next to it (once it's worked out the file doesn't exist) and hopefully will let you simply remove the name from your library.

Hopefully this'll help however the fact your computer isn't letting you restore the firmware is worrying. :eek:

FWIW, you don't have to completely delete the file, just move it. Personally, I'd just drop it in the Recycle Bin but refrain from emptying. :)

14. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Your iPod should have come with a CD that will have the updater specific to that model on it.

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Although the link I provided above gives you the latest version, which may be advisable. :cool:

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

So if it is this video file...where did you get this file from? If you don't want to lose that file then put it on a thumb drive or something(for the time being) to work out your itunes kinks.

Bless

17. realestcib thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i deleted that file..it worked..the onli problem left is that there liek more songs..idk its hard to explain..liek theres the library right..with like videos and stuff in it..and there another icon on the side with the ipod icon and it doesnt have ne videos..but that section is wats acutally on the ipod

18. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

true enough. ;) sometimes it's easier to start at the bottom and work your way up is all.

if you can, it would be good to download the latest iPod updater (like MJ said) and run it, restore the iPod (wiping everything on it), and then reload the stuff you want from the library onto it

19. realestcib thread starter macrumors newbie

and i wanna get wats in the library on the ipod but it doesnt work..theres liek 2 sections of tracks

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I reckon you should restore the iPod and go through the set up procedure again. :)