iTunes / Linux compatibility?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tag, Aug 6, 2005.

1. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Alright, so I'm pondering about which laptop to get, a Dell 700m(linux) or a 12" powerbook, and I had a thought. The only real reason I'm leaning towards the powerbook is because of iTunes.

Now on linux, I have found that you can Share your local music using iTunes protocol by setting up a DAAP server, and let others using iTunes see you on the network and connect to your laptop, just as if you were using and sharing from iTunes.

I also found you can control a remote computer via the web/network if you set up apache and a simple control panel via a web browser.

The only problem is I haven't been able to solve is listening to shared music from other people using iTunes. Now I probably won't be able to listen to just anyone's iTunes library, but I'm hoping to find a way to set up my iMac to be able to stream whatever music it is currently playing, over a network, though the stream must be able to be accessed without the use of iTunes. Then I can control whatever is playing via the web browser remote control.

Honestly I already have an iMac, and as much as I'd like a powerbook, I would rather not have to spend quite that much cash if I don't have to. So if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

(linux n00b so i prolly dont know what im talking about) couldnt you run itunes in wine or something like that? :eek:

3. tag thread starter macrumors 6502a

tag

Well I don't currently have a linux machine to test, my last linux laptop died like 5 months ago, but I gave it a shot trying to get iTunes working that way, but never had any success with it working at all. I read somewhere it has something to do with the way it accesses windows drivers or something, and how it integrated with quicktime I think?

I haven't heard of anyone who has gotten it working off hand, but maybe that has changed in the last couple months? Id be happy to hear about it.