iTunes: Lost my playlists when moved library

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shitzkrieg, Feb 3, 2006.

1. shitzkrieg macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2006
    I recently moved my iTunes (version 6) library from my main start-up drive (80GB) to my second drive (300MB) due to space. When I did that I lost all my playlists (organized by artist).

I imported my "ITunes Library" file, but it did not seperate them into playlists as I had previously set-up. Now I have all my songs in the
    library but not separated into playlists.

Is there a way I can have my iTunes library separated into folders like I had previously or did I screw up and lose all my playlists?

If I lost the folders I had can I go into my "iTunes Music" folder since its already organized by artist and import them all at once that way by not having to create each folder individualy?

I'm just trying to find the quickest way to do this if still possible? Thanks in advance....

*I have a dual 1.8GHz G5 and running 0S X 10.4.4 Tiger
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    iTunes keeps a file named iTunes Library in the iTunes folder within Music (or My Music on a PC) of the start up drive irrespective of where the actual music library is being stored. This file depends heavily on the exact location of each individual music file.

In future, if you want to transfer a library then do it through iTunes. This means going into the iTunes Preferences, selecting the Advanced tab, selecting an alternative location (external drive in your case) and pressing Okay. If it doesn't move automatically then select Consolidate Library from the Advanced menu in iTunes. This will move the library and keep all the data.

Now, I think you're best bet is to try and get iTunes back to how it was and start again using the above method. This means dragging your music back to where it was and reinstating the old iTunes Library data file. I'm not sure how well this will work though because iTunes is extremely temperamental in this regard. Even the smallest change to your library structure can throw the whole thing out. Nevertheless, if it means you might get you playlists back then I say it's worth a try. :)