iTunes & Mactels

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Thanatoast, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Pardon if the question has been asked already but,

Next year when we're all working on our new Mactels, dual-booting windows, if we were to install iTunes on OSX86 and Vista, would that count two machines towards our five machine limit, or just one?

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Definatly 2, how is the computer going to detect the two different iTunes library's its not like OSX and Vista will work seamlessly....If you are dual booting they will have no idea of one and others existence,

SHadOW

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

thier are HFS drivers for windows, and 10.4 macs can read NTFS, (and probably write to it once we get x86 macs.)

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Depends on if iTunes reads the hard drive, or the MAC address. If it sees it as the same computer (like you just have 2 drives), it will be one. If it sees it as 2 different drives, it will be 2. Or you could just wait and see how good VPC or WINE are.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think writing to NTFS has anything to do with x86. Even in Linux, the support for this is very limited, isn't it? It can be done -- as there is software to give MacHFS+ support to Windows and Linux, I think? But my impression is that the journaling features of NTFS make it hard for a non-host system to read/write.

There seem to be conflicting reports of how iTunes works for authorization. There are many people who have reported having their computer take up two slots when they upgrade the OS, but not everyone (it didn't do it for me). Maybe it has to do with the ID of the formatted partition on the disk? I know I have had software in the past that required re-authorization if I reformatted (Mathematica under Windows). At any rate, it seems like it isn't the computer's hardware serial number that is being used, since some people get separate authorizations when they upgrade.

Although...pssh...I'm just waiting for Darwine to take off once Mactels are readily available. :D

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yeah, I was thinking that by looking at the physical hardware and MAC address, iTunes would see them as the same computer.

How does iTunes judge that?