iTunes making double copies of songs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by little-pea, Aug 17, 2005.

1. little-pea macrumors newbie

little-pea

so, genenrally all the songs that i download go into my shared folder. when i open a song into itunes, it makes a copy into my music folder which has my iTunes folder.

so now i have double the songs... and i was just wondering if i deleted my songs from my shared folder, would it affect anything? that way i can also keep track of my newly downloaded songs in the future.

thanks for the help guys!

2. Sundance Kid macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

LOL i just started a thread on this :)

3. Gwendolyn macrumors member

That's exactly what I do, and I haven't had any trouble with the copies of the songs that remain in the iTunes directory (and I just tested it again to be sure, since I had some songs in there I needed to clean out anyway). I do agree that it makes it easier to keep track of which songs you haven't yet imported into iTunes. If you're still nervous about it anyway, you can always try just deleting one or two as a test sample to reassure yourself that they will still stay playable in your iTunes directory. I hope this helps.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

As long as iTunes manages your music library, then yes, you should delete the original file after importing it.

5. little-pea thread starter macrumors newbie

little-pea

thanks guys that freed (is that a word :confused: ) up a few gigs.

geeze im such a bonehead.