Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psionicsin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Metro-Detroit, MI
Apple Music is great and all...but now I wonder if iTunes Match subscriptions are going to be moved over to Apple Music?

Makes no sense for Apple to have both Match and Music. Match should hopefully be rolled into Music.

What do you guys think?

Reactions: scapegoat81

psionicsin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Metro-Detroit, MI
Apples online FAQ says:

How does Apple Music know what songs are in my personal library?

With an Apple Music membership, your entire library lives in iCloud. We compare every track in your collection to the Apple Music library to see if we have a copy. If we do, you can automatically listen to it straight from the cloud. If you have music that’s not in our catalog, we upload those songs from iTunes on your Mac or PC. It’s all in iCloud, so it won’t take up any space on your devices.

But then goes on to say

Does Apple Music work with iTunes Match?

Yes. Apple Music and iTunes Match are independent but complementary.

Seems like in the first answer, they're saying that Match functionality will be built in. If that's the case...why continue having match as a separate intity?

noah82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
San Diego, CA
Maybe they are keeping iTunes Match around for people who don't want to pay the $9.99/month for Apple Music but don't mind paying $24.99 for iTunes Match.

cliffster82

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
That makes sense. But it says they're "Complementary" indicating that you can/should use them both at the same time. I don't get it. They need to be more clear on this. I will most likely use Apple Music so I'd like to delete the iTunes Match service and not lose all my stored tunes in the cloud.

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
I don't even keep a local copy of my music library anymore because of iTunes Match. I am hoping Apple Music will migrate my cloud library automatically and I can cancel Match. Otherwise I will have to download all 30000 songs and then re upload 4500 of them.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
This is confusing me as well.

It would make sense if iTunes Match functionality (matching songs, uploading the rest) was built into Apple Music and then iTunes Match was sold separately for people who don't want the additional functionality of Apple Music.

That doesn't really explain why they are described as being "complimentary" though, unless it's just poorly worded.

JonMan McFly

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2015
The use of the term "complimentary" is creating the confusion. The only "compliment" I can think of is that iTunes Match will allow you to download non-iTunes content to any i-device (e.g., music imported from a CD), whereas Apple Music will only allow you to stream non-iTunes content (though Apple Music library content can be downloaded). The primary benefit of iTunes Match would be that, once your subscription expires/is cancelled, you can still keep the non-iTunes content on all i-devices.

Last edited:

mikelj

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
Chorley, UK
I can see potential issues around Music, iTunes Match and Family Sharing though, since iTunes Match doesn't support Family Sharing.

For example, our family uses a single iTunes account with an iTunes Match subscription. It would be nice if Match could support Family Sharing, otherwise my current setup won't work with the new Music service.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I would be interested in Apple Music but I don't want to go anywhere near iTunes Match (too many horror stories where it hasn't worked well or at all). And I want to continue to sync my stuff via iTunes. Not at all clear if this is going to be possible in the new set up.

psionicsin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Metro-Detroit, MI
iTunes Match has worked great for me so far without any hiccups. iPhone 6+ on T-Mobile here. But yes they do need to clarify what's going on between Music and Match. I'd happily pay $9.99 a month for Apple Music AS LONG AS I'm still able to access my music as well.

Reactions: penajmz

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I'm confused now. I have iTunes Match. There is a tangible benefit to "your collection" in that you can back up the iTunes music file and say you "own" that file. So if I were to switch to iTunes Music, does that mean that I don't have to purchase a song to sync it to my "offline" iPod classic, or Nano? Or is their streaming service only for the iPad and iPhone (iOS devices)?

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
I'm confused now. I have iTunes Match. There is a tangible benefit to "your collection" in that you can back up the iTunes music file and say you "own" that file. So if I were to switch to iTunes Music, does that mean that I don't have to purchase a song to sync it to my "offline" iPod classic, or Nano? Or is their streaming service only for the iPad and iPhone (iOS devices)?

If it's at all like Spotify (which I think it is) it works like this.

Any song that is in the Apple Music Library can be added to your collection.

Individual playlists (and perhaps songs) can be marked for offline access. This is done on a per-device basis. Once you mark a playlist (or to be determined song) for offline access, it is then downloaded to your device.

You essentially "own" that song as long as the following are true: a) you maintain your subscription in good standing and b) the offline rights for the song continue to be available to Apple.

Notes:
1. Spotify has a strict upper limit on the number of songs that you can have offline at any one time. This is a sum total of all of your devices and is something like 3000 songs. I suspect the same will be true with Apple Music.

2. On Spotify, songs are constantly becoming available / unavailable. It's annoying. I suspect the same will be true with Apple Music.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
If it's at all like Spotify (which I think it is) it works like this.

Any song that is in the Apple Music Library can be added to your collection.

Individual playlists (and perhaps songs) can be marked for offline access. This is done on a per-device basis. Once you mark a playlist (or to be determined song) for offline access, it is then downloaded to your device.

You essentially "own" that song as long as the following are true: a) you maintain your subscription in good standing and b) the offline rights for the song continue to be available to Apple.

Notes:
1. Spotify has a strict upper limit on the number of songs that you can have offline at any one time. This is a sum total of all of your devices and is something like 3000 songs. I suspect the same will be true with Apple Music.

2. On Spotify, songs are constantly becoming available / unavailable. It's annoying. I suspect the same will be true with Apple Music.
One of the benefits Apple has listed for Apple Music membership is "Add Apple Music content to your library" so I would "own" any song in the Apple Music Library that I download to my library? If I stop subscribing Apple would take away my "ownership" of that song? Correct? That song would be tagged as a "conditional ownership"?

Seems like membership in Apple Music includes iTunes Match. I do have lots of music that's not in the iTunes Store and it's in ALAC format. iTunes Match would create a 256Kbps version in my library of all my songs not in the iTunes Store and then upload to the iCloud, correct? This is a concern for me because I have many GBs of music not in the iTunes store. This would increase my library size to an uncomfortable level.

Looks like under Free or paying for Apple Music, it's the same Beats 1? Is Beats 1 commercial free (no ads, no adverts)?

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Some people were asking about the differences between iTunes Match and Apple Music, so I emailed Apple support. Here's what I got for an answer. (and yes, the customer support guy has hilariously bad grammar and spelling skills.) Hopefully this will answer some questions.

Greetings from the iTunes Store Customer Support. My name is [deleted] and I will be assisting you.

I understand you want to know how the the new Apple Music Steaming will recognized your personal library and you want to know what are the difference between iTunes match and Apple Music Steaming. I completely relate to how important it is for you the difference between the two. I will do my best to look into this and provide you information on how we can best address this concern.

I would like to inform you that you personal library will automatically be recognized by our system once you subscribe to Apple Music. Even if you uploaded music or ripped a music from a CD. It has the same function with iTunes match that automatically syncs it.

The difference between the two are:

1.) You need an internet connection to use the iTunes Match subscription because the songs are uploaded in the iTunes match and you need an internet connection to play it. While Apple Music can play and save connect content for off line listening. To know more about this feature, please contact the number below that I will be providing.

2.) With Apple Music Streaming subscription you can listen to to music and music culture, that broadcast live to over 100 countries unlike iTunes match that limits the radio to USA only.

3.) The subscription duration of Apple Music Streaming can be controlled over by the customer because this is a monthly subscription. The customer can cancel them by managing the subscription on their account if they want to unlike iTunes match you need to contact an Apple Support Advisor to cancel the subscription.

4.) There is also a family shared plan subscription with give your family members access with Apple Music Steaming unlike iTunes match limit the subscription to only one Apple ID.

There is a free 3 month trail for Apple Music Streaming that is offered to our customer. However before subscribing to it, contact the number (408) 974-2042 Apple Media Helpline for more information. They’ll be able to explain and help you more with application to be able to maximize all its feature from the free trail.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I emailed Apple support. Here's what I got for an answer. (and yes, the customer support guy has hilariously bad grammar and spelling skills.) Hopefully this will answer some questions.

Greetings from the iTunes Store Customer Support. My name is [deleted] and I will be assisting you.

I understand you want to know how the the new Apple Music Steaming will recognized your personal library and you want to know what are the difference between iTunes match and Apple Music Steaming. I completely relate to how important it is for you the difference between the two. I will do my best to look into this and provide you information on how we can best address this concern.

I would like to inform you that you personal library will automatically be recognized by our system once you subscribe to Apple Music. Even if you uploaded music or ripped a music from a CD. It has the same function with iTunes match that automatically syncs it.

The difference between the two are:

1.) You need an internet connection to use the iTunes Match subscription because the songs are uploaded in the iTunes match and you need an internet connection to play it. While Apple Music can play and save connect content for off line listening. To know more about this feature, please contact the number below that I will be providing.

2.) With Apple Music Streaming subscription you can listen to to music and music culture, that broadcast live to over 100 countries unlike iTunes match that limits the radio to USA only.

3.) The subscription duration of Apple Music Streaming can be controlled over by the customer because this is a monthly subscription. The customer can cancel them by managing the subscription on their account if they want to unlike iTunes match you need to contact an Apple Support Advisor to cancel the subscription.

4.) There is also a family shared plan subscription with give your family members access with Apple Music Steaming unlike iTunes match limit the subscription to only one Apple ID.

There is a free 3 month trail for Apple Music Streaming that is offered to our customer. However before subscribing to it, contact the number (408) 974-2042 Apple Media Helpline for more information. They’ll be able to explain and help you more with application to be able to maximize all its feature from the free trail.

cliffster82

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
OK SOOO... I can cancel iTunes Match once I sign up for Apple Music?

That is what I am taking from the response but wow, could he be a bit more confusing please!? (sarcasm)

The good thing is that I'm sure many people, myself included, have X months left on their current iTunes Match subscription, so we can let the 2 coexist for a while and see if there are any differences. And ultimately decide whether to keep Apple Music then cancel iTunes Match. I guess (?).

mikelj

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
Chorley, UK
^That's not much help, really.

Both iTunes Match and Apple Music would require an Internet connection to upload any songs that are not in the Apple library.

iTunes Match does not necessarily require an Internet connection for playback, since your iTunes (Match) library may be downloaded to a device.

From the limited information available, it would appear that the only differences between Apple Music and iTunes Match (ignoring Beats One and Connect) would be that your iTunes Match content is limited to that of uploaded/purchased content (obviously), whereas Music allows you access to the entire Apple music library.

Is that correct?

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
^That's not much help, really.

Both iTunes Match and Apple Music would require an Internet connection to upload any songs that are not in the Apple library.

iTunes Match does not necessarily require an Internet connection for playback, since your iTunes (Match) library may be downloaded to a device.

From the limited information available, it would appear that the only differences between Apple Music and iTunes Match (ignoring Beats One and Connect) would be that your iTunes Match content is limited to that of uploaded/purchased content (obviously), whereas Music allows you access to the entire Apple music library.

Is that correct?

I have wrote back to Apple support asking for clarification, but I think you're essentially correct.

DMaki650

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Rhinelander, WI
I personally think it means this; If you don't have iTunes Match then Apple Music only looks at the music you've purchased that is in the cloud. IF you do have iTunes Match then it looks at your purchased music + your iTunes Match songs. Which is why it says they're "complimentary".

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
What I don't like is iTunes Match's limit of 25,000 songs in your library. I have a huge library and the only reason I never subscribed to it was because of this limit. I hope they up it for Apple Music.

Reactions: eclipxe

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
How does Apple Music know what songs are in my personal library?

With an Apple Music membership, your entire library lives in iCloud. We compare every track in your collection to the Apple Music library to see if we have a copy. If we do, you can automatically listen to it straight from the cloud. If you have music that’s not in our catalog, we upload those songs from iTunes on your Mac or PC. It’s all in iCloud, so it won’t take up any space on your devices.

Does Apple Music work with iTunes Match?

Yes. Apple Music and iTunes Match are independent but complementary.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds to me from the first question that Apple Music contains the features of iTunes Match.

But then in the second question, Apple is implying that iTunes Match does something that Apple Music doesn't do. I don't understand. Typically, Apple's information write-ups are very clear. This time quite confusing.

Last edited:

cliffster82

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Alright, it HAS to be talking about just the songs that Apple could not "match" and had to be uploaded. That's the only reason I can figure why you would want to keep both Match and Music.

But wait, I thought Apple Music is supposed to do the same thing, i.e. upload songs that are not in iTunes. *facepalm*

Never mind. Still don't get it.

adambadamh

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
You can add me to the list of people that are confused. I don't get what additional benefit you get of having a Match subscription if you have a Music subscription. I hope they improve their documentation in the next few weeks to clarify the issue a bit. It would be awesome to get a credit to my Music subscription for the remaining Match subscription I have but I am not going to hold my breath.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
As far as I understood it, the only key thing iTunes Match will provide is the ability to upload your own songs to the cloud which Apple Music won't do. Essentially, if you combine iTunes Match + Apple Music, it would be like having Spotify + Google Music, except cheaper.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
My guess is with Match you can download to your library those tracks matched from their library. With Music it will only upload those without a match but any matched tracks will only live in the cloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.