Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sayhitokyle

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2010
Tamworth, UK
I've spent countless hours curating my music into organised albums and playlists and the recent Match bugs have completely ruined it, save for the few albums I know aren't on iTunes. I'll be cancelling my subscription on Tuesday.

fatboyslick

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Oh gosh this is a farce Apple.

It smacks of them not wanting to alienate current Match subscribers.
Honestly, Match will be closed at the end of this year and we'll all be forced into Apple Music's £10 a month subscription.

I for one don't want Apple Music. I wanted cloud storage for all my MP3s - both bought from Apple, created myself, bought from elsewhere, which is exactly what Match offered plus some bells and whistles whereby I could download higher quality versions if some of my music "matched" Apple's versions.

With Radio, it feels like it's Match BUT with the ability to stream the entire Apple iTunes library, a few radio stations and sadly the ability to NOT download any of Apple's library or YOUR OWN library to keep....Im hoping the Im wrong with the latter

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Honestly, Match will be closed at the end of this year and we'll all be forced into Apple Music's £10 a month subscription.

I would think they would rather have a yearly subscription from non-Apple Music users rather than nothing at all if they drop the service, especially as they work with a similar back end service.

Apple will never force me into paying for a service I don't want to use.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I would think they would rather have a yearly subscription from non-Apple Music users rather than nothing at all if they drop the service, especially as they work with a similar back end service.

Apple will never force me into paying for a service I don't want to use.
So that's the deal.

I mean, Apple does not have the right to force anyone purchasing anything they don't want.

Maybe this is the only thing we could do.

fatboyslick

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
If you sub to Match now its because, I'd generally say, you like it and want/need it in your life.

As such, removing the annual sub and moving it into the monthly iTunes Music service would make sense as Apple would be confident the user base would follow because they want/need it.

We'll see, Im just not confident in Apple continuing to run it as they hardly talk about it as it is

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
If you sub to Match now its because, I'd generally say, you like it and want/need it in your life.

As such, removing the annual sub and moving it into the monthly iTunes Music service would make sense as Apple would be confident the user base would follow because they want/need it.

We'll see, Im just not confident in Apple continuing to run it as they hardly talk about it as it is

It does a job (sometimes only just) but I wouldn't pay £10 a month for it.

fatboyslick

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
It does a job (sometimes only just) but I wouldn't pay £10 a month for it.

Oh God no I wouldnt but I think Apple would be shortsighted enough to think customers would. and they'd just package it all with the Apple Music benefits

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
With all this talk of storing :apple: Music songs and albums in the Cloud, does this use any of the free 5GB iCloud storage we have? i personally don't want to pay for more storage on top of :apple: Music.

On another note, :apple: Music is sounding impressive (i'll reserve my complete opinion when i've tried it out) but with millions of songs and albums to stream and even download for offline listening it's sounding more and more appealing to me. The only thing i'm unsure of is when new albums come out will they be added and available to :apple: Music users?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
8.4 fixes the match organisation issue and it's going from 25000 to 100000 songs also. I'll be sticking to match personally.

fatboyslick

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
With all this talk of storing :apple: Music songs and albums in the Cloud, does this use any of the free 5GB iCloud storage we have?

iCloud Storage and iTunes Match are different things. iCloud is essentially your device profile, photos, email, contacts....no music at all

fatboyslick

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Yeah I decided to only upload half of my MP3s to fit in the limit, now I can do it all (hopefully)

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
iCloud Storage and iTunes Match are different things. iCloud is essentially your device profile, photos, email, contacts....no music at all

Oh ok, i don't have iTunes Match so i wasn't sure, and i don't want to pay for both, i'd rather just pay the £9.99 for Apple Music (if i choose to use it after the 3 month trial).

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
I'm very much looking forward to using Apple Music, planning on using the 3 month trial to move all my play lists over from Spotify.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
For posters commenting on syncing: I believe the concept is that with apple music, there is no more syncing.

Your files are either matched and symbolically added to your collection, or if they don't exist are uploaded and then added to your collection.

Then on each device you pick and choose what you want to listen to (via streaming) or download (for offline or no-bandwidth access). That's essentially how spotify works across devices. There is not syncing. Your master library is cloud-based.

I would assume at this point that songs that are matched or uploaded are also stored locally (at least on the device from which they are uploaded).

For those looking for alternatives, you might check out Amazon prime music. I use it essentially as a static backup of all my music, occasionally streaming from it when I am on the road.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
I am more confused than ever about how Apple Music is supposed to work. The description says that your songs are matched and stored in the cloud. Under iTunes 12, I see that I have options to "Show Apple Music" and "iCloud Music Library". Under the "Account" drop down menu there is iTunes Match.

So: if I sign up for Apple Music how/when/where are my songs (that do NOT have matches) uploaded to the cloud? It's so cryptic. And the lack of mouseover tooltips is just the ultimate in arrogance.

bullrat

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2002
Riverfreak, how could you not be confused with with this total clusterf*ck Apple Music. This overhyped Apple Music crap has ruined my large iTunes Match collection. I can't believe Apple released such garbage. And I know what you mean with iCloud Music Library - iTunes Match - Apple Music - all overlapping crap with no clear intuitive reasoning.

None of my already previously matched songs show that they are matched any longer - but show the cloud icon for download. But if you download them, you get a DRM version. Ugh! Apple - you really blew it this time with this half-baked garbage. iTunes was horrible enough before - but is a ruinous defecation now.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
I am more confused than ever about how Apple Music is supposed to work. The description says that your songs are matched and stored in the cloud. Under iTunes 12, I see that I have options to "Show Apple Music" and "iCloud Music Library". Under the "Account" drop down menu there is iTunes Match.

So: if I sign up for Apple Music how/when/where are my songs (that do NOT have matches) uploaded to the cloud? It's so cryptic. And the lack of mouseover tooltips is just the ultimate in arrogance.

Here's how Apple Music works. You bring it, it's yours, you keep it. It will be matched in iCloud Music Library as it has with iTunes Match.

If you choose to save a song from iTunes, Radio, etc without buying it you can save it to the same cloud library your matched songs are save to and can download them to your phone, Mac/PC just as if you bought it, but if you cancel your sub it is gone.

So the question is, do you want to save music and keep it the way you always have or do you want to pay a monthly fee (for life) for your music files.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Riverfreak, how could you not be confused with with this total clusterf*ck Apple Music. This overhyped Apple Music crap has ruined my large iTunes Match collection. I can't believe Apple released such garbage. And I know what you mean with iCloud Music Library - iTunes Match - Apple Music - all overlapping crap with no clear intuitive reasoning.

None of my already previously matched songs show that they are matched any longer - but show the cloud icon for download. But if you download them, you get a DRM version. Ugh! Apple - you really blew it this time with this half-baked garbage. iTunes was horrible enough before - but is a ruinous defecation now.
"if you download them, you get a DRM version." is it true?
So if you upgrade to Apple music, all songs in iTunes match previously will be added with DRM? Oh hell. :(

I would Never try to even touch it. Otherwise apple music would Not only downgrade my songs, but also add DRM protection, preventing me from reusing songs in iTunes library. This is definitely a no-no. Good bye, Apple music, and never see again.

Soni Sanjay

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2013
"if you download them, you get a DRM version." is it true?
So if you upgrade to Apple music, all songs in iTunes match previously will be added with DRM? Oh hell. :(

I would Never try to even touch it. Otherwise apple music would Not only downgrade my songs, but also add DRM protection, preventing me from reusing songs in iTunes library. This is definitely a no-no. Good bye, Apple music, and never see again.

No that won't happen, your matched songs with iTunes Match will remain DRM-free. Only Apple Music songs have DRM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.