Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kastorff

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2006
I've been having this issue too. For at least a week, iTunes Match update won't complete.

SedoyVV

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2014
Russia
For three or four days watching this problem. I do not think that this is due only indie musicians. Absolutely the same situation occurred several times when I try to add my own digitizing (ALAC) Yes, Led Zeppelyn and so on. Just could not get into the cloud albums transcoded from FLAC to ALAC (FLAC bought on HD Tracks, produced transcoding program MAX) key problems solved "in Russian," downloading from torrents such as handing out albums purchased in ITunes, then delete them (without removing it from clouds), then again "fed the" ITunes my digitizing. Excuse me for my english, it's Google

BKroll1223

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2007
I found a fix on the Knowledge Base that seems to work. The issue is the iTunes Store Cache. After doing this, I was able to upload some mixes I was working on (so obviously they are not on the iTunes Store)

- Turn off Match

- Open Preferences > Advanced > Reset iTunes Store Cache

- Relaunch iTunes and Turn Match On.

boom.

This did not work for me and neither has anything else I've tried. Apple support seems to be stumped as well.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
o my dear iTunes. Once you were so easy to use. Now I just don't understand you anymore, I keep getting duplicate tracks and tracks with an exclamation mark (file lost). Such a pity. I will avoid you and have given my music love to Spotify.

I haven't had this problem in years since I just let iTunes manage my files. It should be noted that my music and other media has a high turnover rate.

cl516

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
Toronto
mine's been working fine. 11.5k tracks and counting. i was uploading obscure DJ mixes throughout last week no problems.

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
some of us had this problem almost from the beginning… someone on the apple support forums figured out that if you put an upload bandwidth limit on your internet connection (say 80% of your max UL bandwidth) that things improved immensely. i've been running like that for about a year now and have not had any more problems uploading tracks to apple's cloud (it's really amazon's cloud which is somewhat embarrassing)

i last uploaded tracks about 4 days ago with no problem…

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
I used iTunes Match for a few months, mainly to take advantage of being able to download higher quality versions of matched tracks I had in my library.

I must have spent 8 hours troubleshooting it, easily. It was such a nightmare.

Then I started using Spotify and a year later, I'm still using it every day.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
I have this exact problem. Apple and services still don't mix. Now imagine you were trying to get to your photos on iCloud..... seems like Apple still doesn't have it's **** together for this stuff. Do you think Tim Cook is taking the iTunes Match team to task right now?

frosty001

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Had this issue in the UK a few months ago. Eventually it was fixed. Best leave it a week and try again.

I must say it really is embarrassing how bad iTunes Match is. Especially as they don't seem to fix many of the ongoing issues. Then they show these crazygood new services for iOS 8 / OSX 9, many of which rely on cloud / servers.

Fingers crosses iTunes Match problems are simply a lack of resources and its relatively low priority.

Last edited:

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2007
This has been happening to me for weeks but probably months.

I "just" need to deactivate iTunes Match and then activate it again right after and it works like a charm. Should be automatic though. It's annoying to do this every time I import new music.

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
If you're using Spotify, Rdio, Beats, or whatever, I can't see why you wouldn't switch to Google Music All Access. I have everything I need in one place. No more jumping from app to app to get all of my music.

For me, it's the lack of Smart Playlists. Amazon Music has the same issue. I use Smart Playlists all the time - for example, for my "background music" while I'm cooking or whatever, I have a mix of new tracks, 5 and 4 star tracks, and some completely random, but making sure that I don't hear anything that I've heard (on my phone, or at home) in the last four days. I've got several variants on those depending on whether I want more familiarity or more experimentation...

At the moment, iTunes is the only tool that will do that for me. But I'm always willing to try new tools...

dansix

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
This sounds eerily like the iMessage issue. I wouldn't worry, it only took Apple like 4 years to acknowledge that issue... help will come in time.

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Yeah same issue here for a bit over a week. Thought it was just me. After trying half a dozen other things such as turning off different services such as genius, restarting them etc I decided tonight to create a whole new library file and that's also got me nowhere. Real PITA to be honest.

dazza611

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Match is crap, been having problems since i renewed over 6 months ago.
All i want is a manual reset and start from scratch! Completely delete everything.
Also a rematch track would be good for uploaded files. Hopefully we can see some improvements in iTunes 12 whenever thats comes out!

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
some of us had this problem almost from the beginning… someone on the apple support forums figured out that if you put an upload bandwidth limit on your internet connection (say 80% of your max UL bandwidth) that things improved immensely. i've been running like that for about a year now and have not had any more problems uploading tracks to apple's cloud (it's really amazon's cloud which is somewhat embarrassing)

i last uploaded tracks about 4 days ago with no problem…

I had the same problem with dropbox a couple years ago. Generally it's a good idea to leave a bit of upload bandwidth free if you have the option otherwise it can degrade certain services (possibly related to the server perceiving it as having excess timeouts/lost packets—my guess).

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
For three or four days watching this problem. I do not think that this is due only indie musicians. Absolutely the same situation occurred several times when I try to add my own digitizing (ALAC) Yes, Led Zeppelyn and so on. Just could not get into the cloud albums transcoded from FLAC to ALAC (FLAC bought on HD Tracks, produced transcoding program MAX) key problems solved "in Russian," downloading from torrents such as handing out albums purchased in ITunes, then delete them (without removing it from clouds), then again "fed the" ITunes my digitizing. Excuse me for my english, it's Google

The Russian-English translator is getting better then. I couldn't tell until I read the word "Russian".

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I've been having this issue as well. Really started to get frustrated with iTunes Match. There's always something up with the product.

meiguo

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2014
I think Apple needs to be up-front about what kind of restrictions iTunes Match imposes on uploading. I was having an issue for the past week or so with some short sound files that I put on my computer. The files were associated with a language textbook. It turns out that iTunes Match will never consistently upload sound files that are shorter than, say, 4 seconds. I found this out after scouring blog posts and articles for a few days. My solution was to use the program "Join Together" to merge the sound files together into longer tracks. Since doing that, everything has uploaded fine, and iTunes Match is working perfectly. One would think that Apple would publicize a restriction on the service like this, rather than leave people in the dark.

TLDR: one of the restrictions on iTunes Match is that short sound files will not usually be uploaded properly and Apple does not publicize this. There may be other restrictions that Apple does not publicize.

jazzdrums1979

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2014
It's an issue with the ISP

I have had the same intermittent issues with uploading files since starting the service a few years back. I refuse to use beats or spotify because I like owning my music and for me having access to match allows me cram my 100GB + size library on all of my iOS devices pretty easily.
Comcast is not too thrilled about the speed at which Apple wants to upload the files and therefor it just kind of bombs out whenever synchronizing unmatched music. You can work around this a few ways. Get a router that allows you to throttle the upload speed or if you have tethering set up on your mobile devices, use them as a hotspot when matching music.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Huh, I've never had problems with Match, either on my Macs or iDevices (little over 9K tracks).

Kinda crappy for those who do have problems tho.

KimJongEun

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
iTunes Match is by far the worst Apple service I have ever used. It's truly appalling.

I will not be renewing my subscription.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.