Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jon169

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Hi, quick question for those who are now using the itunes match service. What effect does the new matched version file size have compared to the original file size.

For example a song previously might have been, say, 6mb, is it higher or lower now on average?

Is it a significant difference to before? The reason i ask is I am already pushing my limit on my devices and was wondering if this is going to help me massively or push me over the edge?

Thanks

delomax

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2011
UK
Impossible to give accurate answer. It of course depends on what format and bit rate your music is currently. BUT, looking at a very small sample of my music library, the AAC 256kbps songs I got from iTunes Match are between 8 Mb and 10 Mb in size for songs around 3.5 minutes long.

If your songs are currently averaging 6 Mb then I think I would be pretty safe in saying that your library will increase in size if you replace your songs with the matched versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.