iTunes Metadata Is Grayed Out, Can't Edit

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SpaceKitty, Feb 15, 2012.

1. macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2008
    Fort Collins Colorado
    I can't edit any of my songs in iTunes. Selections are grayed out. How can I fix this, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    Have you restarted iTunes? Restarted your computer? Are the songs located on an external drive? If so, is it mounted properly? Can you right-click and Show in Finder?
  3. macrumors newbie

Oct 1, 2012
    File permissions

I had a similar problem with some movies that I had in iTunes. I still haven't figured out how it happened, but the ownership/file permissions were messed up. Some were owned by me and were fully open (777) while others were owned by root and permissions were set at 744. To fix this, I ran this line while in terminal,

sudo chmod 777 /Path/To/File/filename.m4v
    This will prompt for your admin password. You can do the same thing with other files, but you should make sure that it won't interfere with what a system admin may have set (if it's a work computer)

(tip: to easily get the path to your file, you can simply drag the file into terminal and the full path will automagically be insterted)
  4. Just-me, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012

macrumors newbie

Jun 6, 2008
    jwheadrick, thanks.

Tried that in Mountain L.
    Doesn't work. I wrote the following in Terminal:

SEs-MBP:~ Dad$ sudo chmod 777 /Users/Dad/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media/Music/2012-11-11\ iRip/Alice\ Deejay/Who\ Needs\ Guitars\ Anyway\?/Better\ Off\ Alone.m4a

and gives me the following message:
    SEs-MBP:~ Dad$ 123qwe
    -bash: 123qwe: command not found

Any ideas what would be the right one for ML?

(BTW, after reading about the problems with permissions, with other songs I just went to the info and changed the permissions from there, but with this particular one also the lock in the info is grayed out).

FOUND THE REASON: instead of Cmd+I I was clicking Option+Cmd+I (for a general info, for several files) and THAT gave me the grayed out lock, but when I did just Cmd+I could change permissions.