iTunes Movies and Music: what do you do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by miTunes75, Jan 14, 2007.

1. miTunes75 macrumors 6502

May 29, 2006
    I am beginning to wonder if purchasing music and movies from iTunes would just be an easy thing for me. I'm concerned about the 128aac thing with songs. Movies? I dunno. I have no idea what the quality is on those. Those of you that have purchased movies and music from it worth the switch?

How many of you purchase music through iTunes?

How many of you purchase movies through iTunes?

Let's discuss.
  2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

Nov 7, 2004
    I don't see it as worth it, to be honest. 128kb/s just isn't enough for my liking, and the movies are pretty low quality as well.

I only get things from iTunes if they're free.
  3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

Oct 12, 2006
    Pasadena, CA
    I buy almost all my music through iTunes. I don't know how much money I've spent, but the quality is fine. I'm the son of an audiophile and I can hear the difference, but certain things I can live with. I like to have all my classical music with full quality (buy the cd) because I'm the most picky with it. I don't notice the quality issues so much with other kinds of music.

I'm addicted to TV shows on iTunes, but I've only bought one movie. They are still too pricey for the quality. I would be renting movies like crazy though if I could.
  4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2006
    I buy all of my 'singles' from iTunes, and they sound perfectly fine to me, whether it's playing through my Mac or iPod. (However, I still like to buy my albums the old fashioned way.)

I've bought a couple of music videos from the iTunes Store and they look fine on my iMacs 17" screen.
  5. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    Cambridge, MA USA

I've bought 2 albums off iTunes. One has been out print since the 90s and one I own the CD, but it doesn't work with my mac at all, let alone iTunes. Which is weird since it worked with my windows PC and Sony NetMD Walkman.
    Haven't bought any movies. I buy tons of tv shows. Mostly cable channels I don't get. They are almost DVD quality, and when reruns come on in HD I run the iTunes version side by side and detect little difference. The HD has better color space and deeper blacks, but the iTunes shows look great to me.
    I just bought a bunch of music videos yesterday. I can listen to the audio without the video, but some of them lack sonic depth. For now I stick with CDs and DVDs.
  6. valdore macrumors 65816

Jan 9, 2007
    Kansas City, Missouri. USA
    iTunes is useless to me for anything but a few music downloads because if I want to purchase a movie from iTunes, then I want to be able to burn it to DVD and watch it on my DVD player. As far as I can tell that's still not possible. Watching a movie on my computer while at home just sounds inconvenient.
  7. calculus Guest

Dec 12, 2005
    That's pretty much the same for me - although I also use emusic for checking out some of the newer bands on independent labels.

As for films - the chance would be a fine thing...
  8. miTunes75 thread starter macrumors 6502

May 29, 2006
    So far, it seems that the movies seem a little scary. now, I have purchased a few music videos in the past, and they seem fine on my dell 17" crt monitor - haahaha. (I wish they would get a whole lot of 80s videos - that'd be cool).

Ok, some history about me. I am a recovering downloader (illegal).

"Hi everyone. My name is MiTunes75..and I'm an illegal downloader. It has been 2 months since my last illegal download."

Two months ago, I felt some conviction about this, so I deleted 70GB of music off my external hard drive. All of it was illegal. ALL OF IT. I now am a strong believer that if I don't own it legally, then I don't need to have it. (well, bootleg concerts and remixes are different - hehe).

No, I don't have very much of my favorite music anymore. Mainly 80s and 90s. It's all gone. I have been researching quite a bit on allmusic and itunes imixes and stuff. I have no desire to purchase tons and tons of cds for 1-3 songs, ya know? I have no interest in the full albums. I have been considering purchasing these singles to replace them. But, I didn't know if the quality would be too bad or not. I have been nervous about buy tons and tons of these cds due to cost and storage in the house.

Thanks for the responses....let's keep this goin :)
  9. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
  10. SkyBell macrumors 604

Sep 7, 2006
    Texas, unfortunately.
    I switch between iTunes and Limewire. Because Limewire is often less qulaity or a differnt version.

If a song, movie or TV show is REALLY god, I'll buy it from itunes.
  11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2006

Wouldn't it just! :D
  12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I buy most/all of my music through iTunes (occasionally I can find a better deal at a store). The quality of iTunes music is not an issue for me because I can't tell a difference between 128 kbps AAC or lossless.

As for movies, I purchased one to test the system. Despite the lower resolution, the difference in quality isn't that dramatic when compared to a DVD. ...Although for now I will continue to buy DVDs.
  13. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004
    I downloaded my first tv shows a few days ago (yes, I have a US credit card). I purchased a season pass to Lost Season 3. The quality isn't quite up to the DVD levels, but with adequate distance from the TV it's not an issue.
    The only thing that bothers me is that the TV shows, well at least Lost Season 3, isn't in wide-screen. What's up with that? Isn't Lost broadcasted in HD in the US? Which normally implies 16:9 aspect ratio! I watch the shows on my tv by hooking up my Powerbook through a DVI-HDMI cable.

I would really like to be able to burn shows and movies to dvd. Until that's possible I don't see myself buying movies. Besides, most DVDs (especially slighly older movies) are cheaper in stores, on actual disks, than they are from iTunes. So that's a no-brainer.
  14. eluk macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2006
    East London, UK
    Only buy hard media. I do not have an iTunes account.
  15. twoodcc macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    same here :)