iTunes movies to dvd?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RyuMD, May 9, 2006.

1. RyuMD macrumors newbie

is there a way to burn tv shows d/L'd on iTunes to a dvd for tv viewing?

2. rspeaker macrumors 6502

Am I the only one amused no one will touch this? I THINK I might have a workaround, but because Apple doesn't allow it, I probably shouldn't divulge anything either (and as of this writing, I'm not even sure it will work!)

I do think it's such a shame Apple doesn't allow people to burn DVDs. I can buy songs, burn one CD, rip it back without DRM, and then burn as many copies of that CD/those songs as I want, but I can't burn a DVD so I can delete the videos I PURCHASED off the hdd. Isn't this a violation of Fair Use laws, by not allowing me to do what I want with it for my own personal enjoyment?

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You are able to burn those video files to a Data DVD, by the way.

4. rspeaker macrumors 6502

I'd like to be able to put some things onto a DVD that will play in a player. I'm in school studying to be a history/social studies teacher, and there are videos I own from iTunes I'd like to have preserved long after iTunes and .m4v files are gone (assuming, of course, that we still watch DVDs at that time.) I understand where Apple is coming from, but really... whose going to "sell" or "pirate" shows in 320x240 when most of the videos available in iTunes can be torrented at higher quality off Bittorrent? Sometimes I despise corporations for their control over products I buy and want to use honestly. Seriously, if I buy a DVD, the studios tell me what I can't do with it... but they're also not incredibly able to stop me from doing what I want. iTunes movies ought to be the same way.

And no, my "workaround" didn't work as hoped. Damn.

5. road dog macrumors regular

there's no way to do this.

you rent music and movies from apple... you don't own them... no matter what steve says... you're renting from them. the music and the movies are both subject to the terms of usage that apple defines and sometimes modifies. today you can burn your music, but there's no guarantee that you always will be able to. the movies you can't burn today.

if you want to own the music or movies, you have to buy actual discs from best buy, amazon, etc.

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    i've never bought a video from the itms, but, does the DRM prevent you from burning them to DVD in Toast 7?

If so that bites...

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

A friend of mine has told me that he has been able to burn DVDs of the iTunes TV shows using his Media Center PC. However, I have no first hand knowledge of this outcome.

8. rspeaker macrumors 6502

I've got Toast 6, and it won't recognize the .m4v files. I tried changing the files to both .mp4 and .mp2 files, but Toast 6 still refused to make a movie DVD of the files. I've tried working in iMovie and iDVD as well. Maybe I'm not smart enough for the workaround, in fact, that's a good possibility. I just think it shouldn't be this hard to get content I paid for.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You are free to burn the files to a data DVD in Toast as dejo pointed out. If you try to watch them on a previously unauthorized machine, it just prompts you for your iTMS account info.

Honestly, I really don't see why anyone would want to try and get one of these iTMS purchases on a video (as opposed to data) DVD since you would need to transcode the low resolution H.264 files sold at iTMS to a less efficient and higher resolution MPEG-2 format to enable standalone DVD players to accept it.

As it stands I can store about 40+ hours of iTMS video on a single layer 4.7 GB DVD blank. This compares very favorably to the ~2 hours I could get using a low bitrate and resolution MPEG-2. :confused:

If you still think it's a good idea, try feeding the video out from your Mac or iPod to an analog TV and cepture it with an appropriate video capture device. Unless they enabled Macrovision, it should work easily. This might be the path used on the Media Center PC.

B

10. rspeaker macrumors 6502

Hadn't thought about feeding it out to and recording with a capture device. I'm planning on getting an eyeTV 250 sometime shortly, so maybe with some other cables and whatnot it wouldn't be so bad. Thanks for the idea!