iTunes: MP3 encoder sucks??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cprice, Jan 9, 2005.

1. cprice macrumors newbie

Jan 5, 2005
    Okay, so you may have seen my other post regarding iTuned being unable to import using AAC encoding:

Well, I got fed up, completely reinstalled Panther, and the problem still remains. Frustrated, I decided to give the MP3 encoder another shot. Same as before, but I will readdress this topic from another angle: Does the MP3 encoder on iTunes really suck this bad? I encoded @ 192kbps and the highs are horrible. As I mentioned in my other post, it sounds almost as though the highs are "cassette quality"...What gives? Should I try encoding using some other program? Suggestions??

Thanks in advance
  2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    I've never had a problem with iTunes encoding. I think its pretty good. How good are your speackers?
  3. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I find iTunes mp3 encoding to be some of the best in the market. I encode all my songs in 224kb/s MP3, and all my CD Imports sound beautiful. I have a set of Bose Headphones, and im a HUGE audiophile when it comes to sound quality... so believe me ;)
  4. cprice thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 5, 2005
    Indeed. I would not expect any less from apple which is why I am baffled at my problems. Please check out my other post for additional information on my scenario as a whole.

p.s. Speakers are great - I have those new Bose headphones and they are great...if anyone has some suggestions please let me know. By the way, I tried importing from an external CD drive just to be sure and got the same thing, thus eliminating the possibility of hardware (CDROM) issues.

5. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    Agreed. Apple surely did not cut corners on its encoding.
  6. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    Try using the LAME encoder. If you still have quality issues, then the problem must be somewhere else.

Edit: iTunes-LAME whould probably be helpful. (You may want to try LAME 3.90.3 first).
  7. cprice thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 5, 2005
    Excellent suggestion. Worked great as far as overall sound quality. However, now I get weird glitches throughout encoded files...

I am guessing there may be some command line options to LAME that could help overcome this.

I feel like I'm getting closer to the solution, though. Thanks for your help.