itunes:mp3 or aac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nellie223, Feb 6, 2007.

1. nellie223 macrumors newbie

My songs on itunes right now are mp3 and I was wondering if I should convert them to aac to make more space? Or should I just save the time and keep them as mp3 and have all new songs be converted to AAC?

By the way Ive tried converting to AAC and an error keeps coming up.

Thanks. :eek:

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'd keep them as MP3. You'll lose quality by converting. I would encode new files as AAC though (just my personal preference).

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Converting one lossy format (mp3) to another lossy format (aac) is going to make you lose even more quality. I'd leave it as mp3 - the space saving ability of aac is minor and with mp3 you're guaranteed maximum compatibility with devices like the mp3 disc players in cars and stuff like that.

4. nellie223 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, =].

I will set it to encode new songs as AAC then.

:)

5. nellie223 thread starter macrumors newbie

would you say I should leave the encoder at mp3 then? i never thought about compatibility for other things. :confused:

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Up to you really, aac offers better sound at the same bit rate as mp3. A lot of devices now support aac but so far I'm yet to see in-car disc players that support anything other than mp3. Mind you, a lot of cars (at least in the US - very little here in Aus) have some sort of iPod connection in them.

So yeah, up to you.

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    keep the one's you got in the format they're in.

3/4 dentists recommend AAC for all future imports.

8. nellie223 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. 1000 songs won't fit on my nano because they are mp3 but I am getting a 30gb video ipod soon and I know I will never completely fill that up. I'll make my future imports to AAC from now on.

9. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

mp3 all the way. aac is too restricted imo. i ran into trouble of playing AACs that were converted from my CDs when i had to cancel my old itms account.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So then I'd stick with MP3 as it's more compatible.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

My head unit supports AAC. Although I've never used the CD player except to test that it worked. This is not the norm though.

12. nellie223 thread starter macrumors newbie

A 30gb holds about 7500 songs with AAC if I use mp3 format will it be much of a song limit difference? On my nano it is only about 150 song difference. I don't think I will ever get above 3000 songs so I have space to spare but I just want to know.