iTunes & .mp4

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by kwajo.com, Aug 7, 2002.

1. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

I hope someone can give me an answer on this. I have spent some time encoding cds to .mp4 using QT being under the impression they will play in iTunes (it is said to play "audio only movies") anyway, I finally decided to try but they will not play on my G3 iMac running OS9.2 and iTunes 2. Can someone thell me if they will play in iTunes 3 in OSX (I have ordered a new iMac 800). I hope they do because otherwise I will have to re-encode into mp3. I really wanted high quality, that is why I was thinking mp4, even though I liked the quality of Ogg Vorbis better I wanted to use itunes (love that program)

2. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

hmm interesting dilema, maybe the lack of OSX and iTunes 3 could be your problem, I dont think iTunes 2 has mp4 support built in since it just came out with QT6. I know for a fact they do work with iTunes 3 and Jaguar since a mac guy and I played around with mp4s on the new 17inch iMac at MWNY. Unfortunately the ID3 tags dont seem to work with mp4s yet, im sure the next update to iTunes maybe 3.0.1 will have better support for AAC or MP4s or whatever you want to call em, but i know for a fact that yuo can play them and they sound spectacular, especially at 256

3. kwajo.com thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

thanks, so what your saying is that all my work may not have been for not? maybe I will keep the files around until my new system arrives, then I will try. if any one else knows for sure, please let me know

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

If you start using iTunes 3, yes, all your work will not have been for naught.

5. kwajo.com thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

thank goodness for proper grammar! even though I do not care what comes out in posts like these (case in point this one and all hitherto) I do enjoy being well spoken out side in society. Yet as much as I anjoyed your correction, I still think that "not" can be used, but "naught" is always, and more so, correct. BTW thanks for the reply about my quandry (spelling is woeful, I no; just joking, know)