iTunes Music Collection - Windows to Mac? HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Apple!Freak, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Heres the story... Today I bought my first mac, a iMac G5 20" with 1GB SDRAM, Wireless Mouse and Keyboard, etc. Very exciting puchase today. It's only be four years since I have wanted one! :)

Either way, I have a LaCie External HDD that I am using to transfer files between me PC and the new iMac (I'm currently on) and I got everything all set except for my priceless music collection.

How can I export everything from my PC on to my HDD and then push a button and everything including playlists, names, etc are all the same on the mac? Is this possible? If so I would really really appreciate the help! Thank you!

(Oh and the only thing I finally annoying about the mac is I have been used to a dual click mouse on the PC for over 8 years and now there is this one click. How in the world do you copy and paste with one click? Does anyone make a nice looking dual click mouse for the mac?)

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

If you have iTunes keep your music folder organized than you can just drag that whole folder over. Neat and simple.

Also i HATE those single click mouses too. I use a $15 Microsoft optical mouse. Works perfect.

Although feel free to choose the one that suits you. :)

welcome to the mac world. Hope you enjoy the experence.

(Oh yeah Control+Click = right click on single button mouse)

3. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Phat_Pat, I tried doing that but it only transfered over 384 of my 539 songs for some reason? Any other suggestions?

Heh, yeah I am seriously thinking of a different mouse but I need it clean, simple, nice looking and wireless. That gets me thinking of Logitech. I have Logitechs diNovo Media Desktop for my PC and it is more than wonderful just they don't make anything like that for a Mac. I'm going to get in contact with their design team and ask them whats up! :)

Thanks for the tip on the Control+Click! Thats exactly what I was looking for. That somewhat handles the copy and paste deal but I still don't have a scroll wheel on the mouse. In the past hour you cant imagine how many times I have gone to use that scroll wheel and it's not there, ha! I think I am going to be forced to get a different mouse. C'mon Steve, invent a white mouse with features like a Logitech! :)

4. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

I bet that some of your songs aren't stored in the iTunes file system. Instead, iTunes is accessing them wherever you originally saved them on your hard drive.

To confirm this is what is happening, find a file that didn't get moved over when you just copied the iTunes folder. Click on it on your windows machine and choose File--> Show song file. This should open up the folder where that song is stored. That way, you will know if it is in the iTunes folder.

If this is the case--ie that some songs are stored elsewhere--I would recommend going back to the Windows machine and choose Advanced-->Consolidate Library. This should put a copy of all your music into the iTunes folder. At this point, you should be able to copy the iTunes folder over and this time it should bring all your music.

Good luck and welcome to the good side!

5. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Good idea! I am doing that now. Slow PC... hah. I will let you know if it works in 30 minutes once my PC is done. Thanks! I am glad to be part of the mac family. It's great. My new mac is much better in all aspects than my PC however I love having both on my desk across from each other. All I have to do is flip around in my chair and theres my PC.

It's amazing after four years I finally have a Mac. I'm very happy! I remember when I attended MacWorld SF in 03. That is what seriously sparked my interest and I have to say getting the iPod as a gift this past Christmas is what brought me over the edge to let the Apple Store flatten my wallet. :p

6. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Ok next problem... I finally got that set and now I go to connect the LaCie External HDD to the PC and it makes the sound that it is connected but it won't show up in "My Computer" next to the C drive like it normally does. Any suggestions to find it on the computer? I know the computer is reconizing it as it asks if I would like to safely disconnect it just does not show is in my computer where I know how to access it.

7. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

Ha, I'm sure this sounds insane but my PC knows I am switching. It honestly does! It has a mind of its own, really! The drive didn't show up because it doesnt want me to make the switch. After manually digging it up on the D drive I was able to pick up the External HDD. Funny thing is, it didn't even show a name when it pulled the window up.

Heh, my PC.... :) It's like the kid I never had... Haha

8. Apple!Freak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak