itunes music...delete it and start over?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scooterguitar, Dec 16, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2008
    Ok, slowly doing the switch.
    I loaded my pc's itunes music to my new external, around 30gbs. Went fine.
    I then copied my other external's music (80gbs) to the new external. Won't play on the mac...Ahh, they are wma's!

So, I am now converting those on the pc's itunes to the acc type.

My question is for simplicity...and less duplicates

Do I simply delete my mac's current itunes music from the new external, then once everything is converted on the pc's itunes, simply recopy it to the external and then change it over to the mac's itunes? I have setup mac's itunes to automatically save to the new external.

I just don't want fragments or extra stuff to start boggin down my mac, since there there is over 100gbs.

Thanks for any suggestions
  2. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2008
    Uh oh, if my math is correct, it going to take around 94 hours to convert all the files to ACC! Argh. Free trial of macdrive runs out tomorrow.
  3. macrumors 6502

Jan 20, 2010
    You might have got this sorted already but there's also Switch for Mac which will let you put the wmas on your mac then convert them to MP3.
  4. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2008
    Thanks. I'm still slowly converting them on the pc...taking forever running nonstop.
    I'd much rather do it all on the pc than the mac, just want to keep things as clean as I can.
  5. macrumors G5

Jun 27, 2007
    You might also have to delete the WMA from the pc. Should only take seconds if you use a smart playlist.
  6. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2008
    Not sure what you mean? I don't have playlists right now, just trying to dump everything and convert. Once files are converted I plan to create playlists and such.