iTunes Music Sharing & Airport & Linksys

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaw04005, Nov 22, 2004.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I have an Airport Extreme Base Station, Airport Express, and a Linksys Router. I have one wireless PC and one wireless Powerbook connected to the base station. I have the Linksys router conencted to the Airport Base Station, and 1 PC and 1 iMac connected to the router. The iMac and PC can see each other's shared music. The Powerbook and Wireless PC can see each other's shared music and the AirPort Express's speaker output. How can I make it where all the devices see each other? I would suspect it has something to do with IP addresses being assigned by the router. Do I manually assigned IP addresses so that everyone belongs to the same subnet? My ultimate goal is to have every computer see the Airport Express and each other's music. Heh, confusing I know.

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I think part of the problem is you have a router (linsys) connected to a router (aebs).

You can simplify your network by swapping the Linksys router out with just a switched hub.

That way only the AEBS will dole out IPs to all of the clients on the network.

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

you can also turn off the dhcp servers in either the linksys or the aebs so they function as a hub and not a router.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Holy Crap! i had no idea you could do that with a Linksys! Learn something everyday. So Joshua, just disable DCHP on the linksys - first admin screen - and report back!

5. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

I disabled DHCP on the Linksys and lost all my internet connection on the computers connected to the Linksys router. I have since reset the Linksys back and these are my IP addresses:

Airport Extreme Base Station = 10.0.1.1
    Airport Express = 10.0.1.3
    Powerbook G4 = 10.0.1.5
    Wireless PC = Unknown

Linksys Router = 192.168.1.1
    iMac G4 = 192.168.1.102
    iMac G3 = 192.168.1.103
    Wired PC = 192.168.1.101

Obviously both the Base Station and Linksys Router are distributing IP addresses. What do I do now?

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Did you release/renew those computer's DHCP addresses after you disabled DHCP on the Linksys? If not, that was probably the issue. DHCP also includes information like gateway IP and DNS server, which would become invalid as soon as the Linksys DHCP service was turned off.

Simplest way to do that would be to just reboot the boxes (after disabling DHCP).