iTunes Music Store Downloads Top a Quarter Billion Songs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rdowns, Jan 24, 2005.

1. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

iTunes Music Store Downloads Top a Quarter Billion Songs

PR Newswire 8:38 am January 24, 2005

Apple(R) today announced that music fans have purchased and downloaded more than 250 million songs from the iTunes(R) Music Store. iTunes users are now downloading one and a quarter million songs per day, which is an annual run rate of almost half a billion songs per year. The iTunes Music Store is now available in fifteen countries, which together represent more than 70 percent of the global music market.

"When we launched the iTunes Music Store we were hoping to sell a million songs in the first six months -- now we're selling over a million songs every day, and we've sold over a quarter billion songs in total," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "iTunes is leading the way into the digital music era and together with iPod is changing the way millions of music lovers find and enjoy their music."

2. macrumors 68000

Veldek

Nice to see that it’s still going forward. At this rate we will have 670,000,000 downloaded songs at the end of the year. Someone proposed 1 billion in another thread, but I still don’t believe this number unless the store comes to a lot of other countries. Let’s see how the new Pepsi promotion will help.

3. macrumors regular

Veldek,

I was that someone - and I stand by the prediction given the rate of acceleration that iTMS is experiencing.

Back in December, I was predicting October 05 for 1 billion tracks. However, if you run the numbers (for each 50 million track increment) they look like:

50 million: 318 days
    100 million: 123 days
    150 million: 94 days
    200 million: 63 days
    250 million: 39 days

So the next 50 million (300 million) could be anywhere between 24 to 39 days, so start looking for the next announcement from 17/02.

As for breaking into more territories, if Apple ship iTMS in Australia, NZ and - most importantly - Japan, I think that will give my prediction an enormous boost, but either way 1 billion in 2005 is pretty much a sure thing.

4. macrumors 68000

Veldek

Let it be 24 days, then it would take 360 days to get to a billion, which would already be in 2006. At the recent rate it would take 40 days, though it might get a little faster. I still say, we won't get there in 2005 but I'd be glad if I was wrong.

Still just eleven months to go until we'll see ;)