iTunes Music Store Launches in 56 New Countries, Movies Arrive in Four

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 3, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier today, we noted that the iTunes Music Store had gone live in Russia and Turkey, but now that changes have propagated throughout iTunes and we've had time to collect reports, it now appears that Apple is selling music through the iTunes Store in 56 new countries. The additions nearly double the number of countries in which the iTunes Music Store operates.

[​IMG]
    The new countries include:

- Europe: Belarus, Moldova, Russia, Turkey, Ukraine

- Africa, the Middle East and India: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Egypt, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, India, Israel, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Swaziland, United Arab Emirates, Uganda, Zimbabwe

- Asia Pacific: Fiji, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Micronesia, Mongolia, Nepal, Papua New Guinea, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan

- Latin America and the Caribbean: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, St. Kitts and Nevis, Trinidad and Tobago

Beyond music, four of the new countries have also seen Apple roll out access to movies: India, Indonesia, Russia, and Turkey.

Update 9:08 PM: Apple has published a press release confirming that it has launched the iTunes Store in 56 new countries.

Article Link: iTunes Music Store Launches in 56 New Countries, Movies Arrive in Four

2. macrumors newbie

3. macrumors 6502a

Asclepio

4. macrumors 603

justperry

It many of these countries people can't even afford a normal mobile phone let alone an iPhone.:eek:

5. macrumors 6502

So happy to see Apple expand music stores. Now if they can bring iBooks and Videos to all of these countries.

6. macrumors 6502

7. macrumors regular

I can't imagine not having had access to iTunes Stores for so long.

8. Guest

Damn...the Apple train ain't slowing down at all.

9. macrumors 6502a

verniesgarden

i saw "Listen" and thought they were doing a subscription based system called "iTunes Listen" and got excited.

10. macrumors member

Sooo cool

And that's great. Believe me. But Apple, when are you gonna roll out iTunes Gift Cards in my country? ¬¬

11. macrumors 68000

Astoundingly huge step forward for the iTunes Store.

12. macrumors 6502

13. macrumors 68000

And hey Apple, when are you going to roll out PayPal support in my country???

----------

Huh? lol Canada's store launched with the cheapest music back in the day at 99¢ with no taxes. That has changed.

14. macrumors 6502a

As a US resident, it baffles me how long it has taken to roll out to some of these countries. I mean we have had the iTunes Music Store for over 9 years over here! Licensing just must be a real pain.

15. macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

You don't need an iPhone to buy music on iTunes.

BTW iTunes has been the largest music retailer in the US for over 4 years now, and now sells more music than all US CD retailers combined. Those people may want to ditch CDs without resorting to piracy too.

16. macrumors 68000

Saladinos

17. macrumors member

kriebe

When did Russia and Turkey become European? They are definitely on the continental side of Asia. You could say they are part of Eurasia, but definitely not Europe.

18. macrumors G3

charlituna

Give them time.

Hopefully this is the start of a bigger roll out of global releases, especially for video. If the studios would go with releasing globally after first release they might see a drop in casual torrent use. Especially if quality go up and pricing comes down. No TV show is worth $4.99 an episode and there are very few that can't be done in at least 720 if not 1080.

19. macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

They're technically on both continents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. macrumors 65816

I find myself amazed that there were that many more countries to go!

Now can we get TV shows in NZ please? :)

21. macrumors 603

justperry

But You need an Apple device or not, genuine question?

22. macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

No, if you don't have an iDevice you can simply use the iTunes software on PC or Mac. If it only worked for Apple hardware owners I doubt it would be the #1 music retailer worldwide.

23. macrumors 68000

adder7712

I had iTunes before I ever owned an iPod (my first one was the 1st gen Nano).

So you don't need an iDevice (iPod, iPad, iPhone etc.) to use iTunes.

24. macrumors member

kriebe

I get that they are physically on both continents. That's why I'm ok with it being Eurasian. But when 90% of a country is in Asia and it's considered a European country, that seems pretty odd to me.

And thanks for the maps... Google is hard.

25. macrumors 603

justperry

Ah yeah, stupid of me, itunes windows:eek: