iTunes Music Store Outage on Sept 21

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 17, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple Discussions contains a notice that Apple's iTunes Music Store will be unavailable on Sunday, September 21, 2003 from midnight to 2:30AM PDT.

2. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

page 2 for uncertain significance.

arn

3. macrumors 6502a

Genie

of course kazaa has outages too...

oh...maybe it doesn't.

4. macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Interesting. I wonder why they're taking it down...?

5. macrumors regular

That's OK.......

I won't be awake....... :D

6. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Is there anyway I can justify this to mean that iTMS for Windows/Europe is coming soon?

7. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Probaly just regular updating or just uploading of a bunch of music or something bigger ( itunes windows)?

8. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

maybe its just standard server maintenance?
    it could be to switch it to a bigger server for al the windows and IK users:)

9. macrumors 603

Stella

LOL, your funny.

iTunes outside the US borders this decade?

No chance

:D

10. macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I would imagine they're using clusters of computers to handle the demand. This could mean that extra bandwidth is being installed for the WiTMS. One never knows.

11. macrumors regular

This is probably to switch to the G5 version of their Xserves. ;)

PS. I hope they don't announce a G5-based Xserve until they can finally catch up to all the demand for the dual G5s. Nothing like putting additional strain on a very short supply.

12. macrumors newbie

Oh wow... I'm surprised something this insignificant would even be posted... and it sure does generate quite a bit of "what ifs..." and "probably"'s...

Everybody has these little outages... nothing to get excited or sad about, I promise.

13. macrumors 6502a

alia

It's either routine maintenance, or they are doing some load-testing for the Windows version... ;)

Alia

14. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

that's what Page 2 is for... ;)

it's also a heads up for anyone wanting to buy a song sunday night. :)

arn

15. macrumors member

:eek:
    c'mon dog, it's gotta happen....

right???

16. macrumors 6502

They're taking it down 'cause they're releasing G5 iBooks.

17. macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

the start of iTMS for windows perhaps...

the thought leaves all of us still stuck on the pc rather giddy

18. macrumors newbie

they're probably planning to post a large backlog of music from the independent labels; a lot of files, and a potential change to the iTMS interface (the "indie" category) might warrant a brief service outage..

19. macrumors 6502

I only heard about it being "taken down" during the development stage once and that was for a pretty major change to the way the authorization functions worked. My guess would be for something involved with the authentication functions of the Windows version being developed.

Just for clarification, I was not involved or had any knowledge of the iTunes Music Store during development, and I don't have any now (including inside info about this planned outage), all my info is from discussions with a couple of key players since the launch. And no, they wouldn't tell me anything about this even if I asked, which I won't.

20. macrumors 65816

So what I want to know is if Windows iTunes will become the new official playlist manager for Windows iPods. I would assume so, but maybe Windows iTunes will not be fully featured and will only be a front for the music store.

21. macrumors member

The latter would be rather pointless. Since these protected AACs can only be read by iTunes (and the Quicktime Player, but that's no real music app) still using Musicmatch Jukebox would mean that you have to use one app (iTunes) for downloading and playing, and another (Musicmatch) only for your iPod. And I do think that Apple doesn't get this Musicmatch thing for free, so it would be in any case more sensible to use Windows-iTunes for the Windows-iPod.

22. macrumors 65816

displaced

As someone who tries to spend as much time with the Mac as possible, but still uses PCs for quite a lot of time, a full-featured iTunes for Windows would be a blessing!

Nothing comes close on Windows. The thought of having consistency between the Mac and PC for this is really exciting.

I wonder how many Windows users without an iPod of interest in the iTMS will buy/download iTunes simply as an MP3 player/organiser? Being in the UK, iTMS isn't an option for me, and I've no intention of bothering to put Firewire in my PC for the iPod .... but I'd still probably get iTunes for Windows, purely on its own merit.

23. macrumors regular

Oh please!!!

Man, what is with you people?! The G5 is too hot for the iBook. The PowerMac has 9 fans. A G5 iBook isn't going to happen!!!

Yes, this was all a joke. I still can't get over the 8 pages of "G5 PB is/is not possible" flames before the expo.

-p

24. macrumors 68020

G4scott

Apple's been in the process of converting all of their AAC's into Windows Media Player 9 files. The outage is to make the actual switch ;)

25. macrumors 68040

mactastic

Weird though. You'd think if there was scheduled maintenance, or server upgrade or something along those lines that apple would post the reason for the shutdown. Definetly a conspiracy theory generator. I hope its something good.

And I was all set to buy a ton of music this sunday night only....
    :D