iTunes Music store to be renamed.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sPAULj, Feb 9, 2006.

1. sPAULj macrumors member

A very good friend of mine told me tonight that Apple is looking into changing the name of it's "music store" to a "media store".

He works at Apple, and that's pretty much all he told me since he's very secretive about everything that happens at work. He told me this when I asked him why it's called a "music store" in the first place. It's really not a big deal, just a name change really, but I think it does show how Apple is opening itself up to new video and what it has to offer.

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

That would make sense. Unfortunately, they can't also change "iTunes", which doesn't really cover video.

3. sPAULj thread starter macrumors member

You know what? I should have asked him about that! I feel like an idiot now.

I guess they could rename it "iMedia" or something, but that would probably kill all of the marketing behind "iPod+iTunes". That's truly a problem.

Hmm...Then again, they had no problem with killing the iPod mini outright so I suppose anything is possible.

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

5. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Media sounds like a very Windows word to me. It doesn't have that nice inviting Apple-ring to it.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's going to be called the iVingleMobileMeBoombox Store®. You read it here first!

7. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I agree, iTunes and iTunes Music Store no longer apply. If the only videos being sold were music videos, then OK. But now that they're selling shows and shorts, it doesn't fit.

For the iTunes Music Store?

iTunes Media Store.

and for iTunes? hm....what about...

iLike?
    iEnjoy?
    iStuff?

This is going to be a tricky one for them Apple folks.

8. sPAULj thread starter macrumors member

True, but I can't possibly think of what else they will name it. "iPlayer" is the only thing I can think of that's generic enough to fit the entertainment category, and that has no Apple qualities.

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Although "tunes" does imply music, it's kinda slang. I think Apple can abuse it's monopoly power to extend the slang to include all kinds of media. ;)

10. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

itunes will remain. Maybe the iTunes music store will just become the iTunes Store... Think of other companies that have expanded - tower records is still tower records even though they sell CDs now (and videos). I'm sure there's a better example than that too. Maybe the store could just become iStore.

11. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

As far as the non-US stores are concerned they should probably put some other media up there first, before calling it a media store.

12. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Sure they can! Some possibilities:

1. Have both an iTunes Media Store and a Vingle Media Store
    2. Call it iPod Media Store.
    3. Call it Apple iMedia Store

I think that Apple will probably choose option 2 or 3, and start branding the media as iTunes, Vingle and Podcast as appropriate. They could easily rebrand the iTunes app as "iMedia, the iTunes and Vingle media player".

13. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

iTunes and iPod are too powerful as marketing names to give up, so they wouldn't do something like Apple media store (which also has legal problems with Apple records) or Mac media store. They don't want to just call it iPod media store because they want to sell media for computers and home entertainment centers, too.

Two different stores such as iTunes and Vingle is too confusing.

So it will be the iTunes media store.

14. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

My point was that they wouldn't give it up, just emphasise that it is the content that are iTunes (or Vingles) rather than the store name. Regarding Apple iMedia Store, officially it would be called "The iMedia Store", just that everyone would call it "The Apple iMedia Store" or "Apple's iMedia Store". This is just like how people call it "Mac OS Ten" even though Sun owns the trademark "OS 10" and Apple spells it "Mac OS X".

How does the brand name prevent sales for these platforms, exactly ;) iMedia Store does seem more likely than iPod Media Store, though (I agree).

I guess I'd argue that a single monolithic store with music, music videos, TV shows and movies all mixed up together is more confusing. Especially when the store calls itself "iTunes Music Store". Most people associate iTunes with music, not TV and movies.

15. Project macrumors 68020

Yeah, its about time they separated the music and video sections properly. Maybe have two tabs in the source pane in iTunes, one for music store, one for video store.

As for names? Apple Media Store. Comprised of the iTunes music store and the iVideo? store. I think iVideo's name is already taken though

16. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Am I the only one that thinks Vingle is a really stupid word? Besides sounding dumb, it is not good at conveying anything about what it means. Most people are either going to have to think for a while or have it explained to them before they have any idea that it is a video.

I think the iTunes Store, iTunes Media Store or even Apple Media Store would be OK names.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I was arrested for vingling in public once. :eek:

18. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It'll never be 2 or 3. iMedia is just lame, apple needs to get away from the "i" prefix, and 2 is just inviting lawsuits over monopolistic practices.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they did an iTunes.app and a television.app or something like that, each with their own store.

19. mac-er macrumors 65816

This is fake, and I'll give you two reasons...

Now, Apple may actually do this, but your "friend" who works at Apple never told you this. And, if you are dumb enough to print this, Apple will file a lawsuit against you to find out who your friend is...just like they did to ThinkSecret.

20. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I do believe that apple might be leaking out small bits of info like this to see how the consumer market responds without any serious loss if apple doesn't choose the name. Soon we might see someone post new MacBooks (iBooks) will feature a 802.11n feature that they will call UberAirPort (i don't really like that btw). Apple will monitor the post, and see what the consumer has to say about it. They also might get some good naming suggestions.

Also, his friend might be Steve:p

21. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

How about leaving the Music Store as is and adding a Video Store? The only disadvantage I see is that the traffic in the Music Store won't be exposed to the latest and greatest videos. Otherwise, the "Media Store" idea sounds good, but iTunes should be left as is for branding.

22. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

I think this is likely. If they used tabs kinda like the way you navigate between the Apple product pages and Apple store pages, they could make the different spaces feel more like different 'depatments' than different 'stores'.

23. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Just like "PowerBook" and "iPod mini." Apple would never give those names up either.

When are you kids going to learn that MBA 101 doesn't apply to Apple. Apple (Jobs) makes its own rules up.

Not saying the iTunes Store is gone, just that I wouldn't be shocked if Apple renamed both the store and the software to better position itself for video.

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No, you are not alone. But I'll be the first brave soul to admit I though the word "iPod" was stupid and confusing too back in 2001. Here we are some 5 years later and "iPod" is now synonomous with MP3 player...and maybe even portable video player too. See how little I know.

25. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I guess they could intregrate it into Quicktime and make it into an all singing media player. I doubt that though.

Also, did they actually say that part of the name will change, or did they say it will change to the iTunes Media Store? If the latter, you know what the app will be called anyway, not that it's really in much doubt.