iTunes Musoc Store

Discussion in 'Community' started by ac2102, Dec 27, 2003.

1. ac2102 macrumors member

May 12, 2003
    Bristol - England
    Ok, so i have just been watching CNN Europe (i am staying with my parents who live in Belgium).

An associate editor of Rolling Stone magazine said:

Yeah the Apple Music store has sold a few million tunes, but what does that mean to a multi-billion dollar industry (like the Music Industry).

(NB not a direct quote, i was fairly inebriated when i heard it and i am similarly inebriated as i write it, but it was something along those lines)

My question is, do you really think that the Apple music store will have a great impact on the Music industry?

My personal view is that the world is swinging towards a more computer orientated point of view and so our way of acquiring music will follow.

However, with the mass of music stores starting out now, will the any of the music Stores have the commercial power to not only help the Music industry through their copyrighting crisis, but also to keep themselves afloat? the Music industry may well be vast right now, but surely that is because of its CD sales. Can it continue to be a Billion dollar industry if sales become web only?
  2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    It's not a whole lot of money, but perhaps it's the first big step in people letting go of physical objects for distribution. I'm not just talking about music but any documents, software, or music.

Of course, there are many industries that depend on old-style physical distribution and would have trouble due to the lack of a physical product. I wonder if someday, you might just plug your iPod into a vending machine once you purchased your music selections and they would be downloaded.
  3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Well the initial market is small, people who are big music fans (who's artists are represented in the iTMS) and the fact that it's such a small thing right now... The only people willing to adopt it so quickly are those who have higher technical knowledge and trust computers for this purchase... and people with the money to upgrade to MP3 players. As online music sales become more and more popular, and the MP3 player becomes more of a status symbol in the mainstream, more people will flock to it, greatly increasing the amount of music sold. What Apple (and the rest--poorly) are trying to show right now is that people will try it and people will continue to use it. it's a solid source of income that should only grow that the RIAA has to do nothing to promote-- Apple and the rest do all of the software work, encoding the music, courting the execs, drawing up contracts. It's just money in their pockets. So I think the above quote is a bit one-sided, making the online music industry sound a lot more trivial than it really is, at this point-- I believe it will replace CD's entirely, given some time :)

consumerism = driven. could be a slogan.

4. Shifty macrumors regular

Sep 21, 2003
    UK, London, SW15
    Well, Apple seem to have burst a new bubble.

Many large companies are going the way of Apple by introducing their own portable media player, and online pay-per-download music service.

Here's a quote from one news website.

Recording industry finally wakes up.

After years of ignoring or moaning about the proliferation of unlicensed downloading and file sharing on the Internet, the music industry finally did something about it.
    Belatedly, the business recognized that many consumers would rather download their music track by track than buy full CDs. Several new paid-download Web sites, notably Apple's iTunes, allowed fans to buy downloads, and Nielsen SoundScan began tracking the purchases.......