Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
Okay, Apple is launching an entirely new category of device with the iPad. I get that, but this just means it takes up another slot in the 5 authorized devices that you can sync with iTunes. I wonder if Apple will ever raise that limit a bit?

Come Saturday, I'll have the following devices:

iMac
Macbook
iPhone
iPod Touch
iPad

I also plan on getting a 3G iPad later this month and my wife will use the WIFI model. I guess our only option will be to create a separate iTunes account, but then that's means having to re-purchase all apps, etc for devices synced to that account.

On one hand, I can understand that Apple has to place a limit on the number of devices that can sync the same content. After all, it's actually quite generous that we're able to sync music and apps to multiple devices.

On the other hand, those of us who have quite a few Apple devices and spend gobs of money in iTunes would perhaps like the limit lifted a bit given the increase in Apple devices that are available.

What do you guys think? Am I being too greedy to want a higher sync limit? ;-)

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
The 5 authorizations cover the computers that you can use your DRM'ed items with. As far as I know, each of those computers can have as many devices as you want associated with them. So in your case only 2 out of 5 authorizations are needed.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Also computers aren't devices so you will only have 3 when you get your iPad and not 5.;)

okli

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
hey travismo

iPad is also just a device ...
so you still have just 2 activated computers:p

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
Wow, thanks for clearing that up guys! So my iMac and Macbook will count towards the 5 sync limit, but the iPods, iPads, and iPhone will not?

I had assumed that it was total "devices" because my iTunes account states that I have 5 machines authorized. However, I'm only using 2 computers so I assumed the other 3 were my iPhone, iPod Touch, and I have an older iPod Touch that I never de-authorized. But perhaps it is just older computers that I never de-authorized?

Perhaps when I get my iPad, it will be the appropriate time to de-authorize ALL my machines and re-authorize the ones I am currently using?

Thanks again!

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
But perhaps it is just older computers that I never de-authorized?

Yup that is probably it. If all 5 of your authorizations are in use, you can log in to your account in iTunes and de-authorize all of them at once, and then only reauthorize the ones you actually use.

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Can somebody confirm if the 5 authorised limit is only taken up by computers??

In my household I have the following

1) iMac
2) macbook Air
3) Apple TV (Living room)
4) Apple TV (bedroom)
5) iPhone 3GS
6) iPhone 3G
7) iPad (mine)
8) iPad (missus)

Reason I ask is that recently I deactivated everything from my iTunes account and started from scratch however I am already hitting my 5 limit so unsure why as I believe only the imac and Air would take up 2 of the 5??

hamlinspahn

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Oklahoma City
Authorization

Can somebody confirm if the 5 authorised limit is only taken up by computers??

Reason I ask is that recently I deactivated everything from my iTunes account and started from scratch however I am already hitting my 5 limit so unsure why as I believe only the imac and Air would take up 2 of the 5??

Authorization Required.
YES 1) iMac
YES 2) macbook Air
NO 3) Apple TV (Living room)
NO 4) Apple TV (bedroom)
NO 5) iPhone 3GS
NO 6) iPhone 3G
NO 7) iPad (mine)
NO 8) iPad (missus)

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/

Computers and only Computers require Activation. You can only delete all registrations once a year so if you did it and you now have 5 again you done for the next year.

Apple has an entire library of documents that will answer nearly all of Apple related questions. It took all of 20 seconds to find these documents a couple of minutes to read and a minute or so to type this post to help some.

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Authorization Required.
YES 1) iMac
YES 2) macbook Air
NO 3) Apple TV (Living room)
NO 4) Apple TV (bedroom)
NO 5) iPhone 3GS
NO 6) iPhone 3G
NO 7) iPad (mine)
NO 8) iPad (missus)

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/

Computers and only Computers require Activation. You can only delete all registrations once a year so if you did it and you now have 5 again you done for the next year.

Apple has an entire library of documents that will answer nearly all of Apple related questions. It took all of 20 seconds to find these documents a couple of minutes to read and a minute or so to type this post to help some.

I am well aware and have read the Apple documentation, my point is that I only have two computers, reset my registrations and I am back to 5 in a month therefore not sure what is going on

hamlinspahn

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Oklahoma City
Call Apple

I am well aware and have read the Apple documentation, my point is that I only have two computers, reset my registrations and I am back to 5 in a month therefore not sure what is going on

Call Apple if you deleted and they are back unless someone is using your iTunes account there is obviously a problem might be your end might be Apples problem but you will need Apples help to resolve especially since your hands are now tied for the next year. Do you have Apple Care if you do the call will be free, since it is an itunes isssue the call might be free, if no to both the call will cost you $49 US. I did have a problem like yours a couple of years ago and it was my fault look at the names of the registrations if they are similar to each other it sound a lot like the problem that I had but alas I did have to call Apple to fix the registration issue and since I have Apple Care I had no fear of paying so I had them walk me thru the fix on my end also. I made an assumption about you being like a lot of people on here I am sorry truly, I shouldn't judge so quickly.

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Call Apple if you deleted and they are back unless someone is using your iTunes account there is obviously a problem might be your end might be Apples problem but you will need Apples help to resolve especially since your hands are now tied for the next year. Do you have Apple Care if you do the call will be free, since it is an itunes isssue the call might be free, if no to both the call will cost you $49 US. I did have a problem like yours a couple of years ago and it was my fault look at the names of the registrations if they are similar to each other it sound a lot like the problem that I had but alas I did have to call Apple to fix the registration issue and since I have Apple Care I had no fear of paying so I had them walk me thru the fix on my end also. I made an assumption about you being like a lot of people on here I am sorry truly, I shouldn't judge so quickly.

Hi

Cheers for the info - very helpful, will do a bit of investigating before i call Apple!!

Wow - didnt realise class would cost that much WITHOUT apple care :eek:

hamlinspahn

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Oklahoma City
Call Cost

Hi

Cheers for the info - very helpful, will do a bit of investigating before i call Apple!!

Wow - didnt realise class would cost that much WITHOUT apple care :eek:

Good luck.
The call cost is a little steep but they are trying to push you to an Apple Care 3 calls to Apple and you are just about even. I have always had it and I upgrade every three years in part just for the Apple Care over the years it has always paid off for me. If any of your Computers are is less than a year old you can still buy it. It is really cheap if you use it. If you only see it as warranty extension you are missing half of the benefit. And that is my Apple Care Rant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.