iTunes network shenanigans

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dagless, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My pop has a bunch of his music on his PC. I can access this via Finder and that, but I'm after an iTunes integration thing. Is it possible for iTunes to access the music on his computer (and any other for that matter) but to still load up and be added to the iTunes database? Just I'm running out of HDD space so this would be a fantastic option.

It isn't feasible to stick iTunes on his machine. Not with the amount of time the main Windows HDD gets formatted.

cheers!

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

If you de-select the 'copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library' option under the iTunes Preferences>Advanced tab, and then drag your Dad's music folders to your iTunes it should allow you to access his music via your iTunes, but leave the files on his. However I don't think it'll dynamically update your iTunes library if he adds more music, you may have to repeat the process again to see his new music.

You'll just have to remember when you come to add more music to your machine, to select the 'copy to iTunes' option again so it's stored correctly on your machine.