iTunes - New iBook - Move from Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VanMac, Aug 4, 2005.

1. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hi.

I have a new 12" iBook, and no longer want to use XP pc for iTunes synching to iPod. I have a 30GB iPod photo, and about 11GB worth of music.

So, what is best way to get library over to my iBook. Machines are all networked. Use iPod, or network, or what. Do I need to reformat iPod?

Sorry for asking this question again. I did a search, and saw similar posts, but no real definative answer.

Thanks in advance

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

iffy ground this but you can do it

DO NOT FORMAT YOUR IPOD yet

plug in a network cable to your PC -Mac and transfer you iTunes Folder - deauthorise the PC first mind !

and once you have your iTunes music on the Mac then you set the Pod the mac

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

4. VanMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try on the weekend :)

5. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

If you have your computers networked I'd think there was a more simple way.

Either you could navigate the hell that is setting up Windows sharing to enable copying to the Mac. Or you could set up the Mac to allow you to drop your iTunes stuff into your Public folder drop box.

Information on the latter is here.

If you don't care about play counts, etc. I'd recommend ourTunes. ourTunes allows you to download music shared via iTunes.

Information on setting up iTunes sharing in Windows.

You'd run ourTunes on your new Mac. Transfer speeds are fast, probably faster than copying to an iPod then taking the songs off the iPod.

I'd also recommend that you back up your purchased music, if any, on CD or DVD. To find all purchased music do a Windows search for "*.mp4". Anything with the extension .mp4 is a protected iTunes song.