iTunes/New Mac Question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by neoelectronaut, Jul 4, 2005.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Quick question for the rest of the Macheads out there.

When/If I purchase a new Mac, my iTunes library can easily be transfered over by just dragging the entire Music folder out of my home directory to the new home directory (Via Firewire Target Mode) correct?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If a) your iTunes Music folder is in there (and you let iTunes keep it organized) and b) the file "iTunes Library" is in there too, then yes, that should work just fine.

3. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

If you have an iPod, you can:

-Sync your library with your iPod.
    -Download ephPod (the Windows version, I don't know any Mac versions) and rip the songs off of your iPod.

DONE. Easy.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Very easy without any 3rd party tools, too, just follow Apple's how-to... ;)

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There are several rip programs available for the Mac. Just do a search in the forums and you will find them.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
    [​IMG]

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

If your old computer is a Mac, you can use the setup assistant and it will put everything from your old computer where it needs to be. It works amazingly well and can save a ton of time trying to get preferences back to how you had them on the old computer. This would be my first option.

7. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

i like senuti it has a great itunes-like interface and it works great

8. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, I don't have the new computer quite yet...but this is sorta the point of starting fresh. I don't want to bring over the little nit picky stuff that's hidden and I don't know about, I'd like to bring over only the necessary stuff and nothing else.

Just trying to avoid ripping 200+ CDs again...

But yeah, iTunes' library is all contained in my music folder in my home directory. Bringing that over should make iTunes automatically update itself on the new computer? NO hidden files I gotta find or anything, right?

9. amholl macrumors 6502

This is why I keep everything on my external LaCie...I can transfer w/o hassle

10. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Yeah well, unless you have the $300 to send me to purchase one or you want to send me one...that's not exactly an option. Neither is the use of an iPod. Because I don't have one and certainly can't afford one.