itunes on a network... ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bowdeni, Oct 31, 2005.

1. bowdeni macrumors member

Good day all

My problem relates to using itunes on my uni network. As you may be aware (or not), itunes provides the ability to view and maybe listen to other people's music who are on the same network.

My problem is that I cannot to do this. Everyone else can, but I can not. There isn't anything under shared music. Nothing.

I was wondering whether the fact that everyone else's, who's works, uses windows has any factor on this problem? I'm the only one using OS X. By the way, I'm using 10.4 with itunes 6.

Thanks in advance,
    Ian

edit: Just realised I posted this in the wrong forum, please accept my apologies.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I guess that the sharing is cross platform, but I don't know.

In iTunes check Preferences --> Sharing. Make sure you check "look for shared music".

3. belvdr macrumors 601

The only restriction is that you must be on the same subnet. Sharing between operating systems is fine.

4. russed macrumors 68000

russed

it worked for me cross platform no probs!

also do you have to have the port open in system preferences > sharing?

5. jcarm24 macrumors regular

jcarm24

i believe you don't

6. belvdr macrumors 601

Well, iTunes should do it for you automatically. If it doesn't succeed, you must do it manually.

7. Studawg7 macrumors regular

this is correct. just check sharing and you are good to go no matter what system you are using.

do you use the wireless network instead of the wired? that could keep you from seeing your friends on the wired network.

8. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

It works cross platform. You don't have to mess around with the osx preference pane. Just go into iTunes preferences and click on the sharing tap and check (look for shared music) and if you want (share your music).

You should be all set and ready to go.

9. bowdeni thread starter macrumors member

I'm on the same subnet. The option is ticked in preferences but states "On, no users connected" and the port is open. Perhaps its looking for people on the wrong network? How could I make sure that its using my uni network?

Thanks for the replies so far

10. bowdeni thread starter macrumors member

Apologies for bumping, but I just wanted to verify no one else had a solution? I'll take no replies to this post as a no one can help me!

11. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I don't know if this is really any help at all but I took a screenshot of iTunes open with another library on it.

If you take a look at the iTunes pref. pane it says that there are "no users connected" but on the left iTunes drawer you can see where the black triangle is "Erika's music" that I have access to her library.

Oh well. Maybe just get together with one of your buddies and play around with it and see if you can locate each others music libraries. Sorry. That's all I got.

Attached Files:

12. ILoveiBooks macrumors member

I don't know if this is dumb of me to say or if it's too obvisious, but all the other computers have to iTunes open.

So verify that all the other computers are logged into an account and iTunes is open.

13. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

For me I just click share, and one other computers (pc's and mac's) The shared library shows up in the left bar. Try deleting the itunes prefrences files, maybe that will work. Or reinstall itunes by popping in your install dvd and rinning Pacifist http://www.charlessoft.com/ Then just find itunes and reinstall it.

14. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

This may be stupid and obvious, but did you press the little drop-down arrow next to the shared music playlist? There really isn't any reason why it shouldn't work on your network, unless the university is blocking that port on Macs for some reason. Although I'm not too knowledgeable about networking, I don't even know if you can do that....

15. bowdeni thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies...

RE: alexstein. Thanks for that screenshot. perhaps the connected refers to actually streaming/downloading music off another one's computer.

RE: ILoveiBooks. Good point but unfortunatly I know there to be other users on, since my mate can see them. As can everyone. There is about 80gb of music to gobble up! :)

RE: Laser47. That may fix it, however thats my last resort. I've only recently switched to mac, and while good on windows, that requires some research how to do it. thanks for the tip tho.

RE: SummerBreeze. I don't have any 'shared music' play list, or anything of the sort. I've seen what it should look like on those also on the network, and the above screenshot, and mine looks as if it is on a standalone machine.

Next step is that my friend will plug his laptop into my ethernet terminal in my room, and see if his machine will pick up anything. Then we'll definately know whether it is the location or the mac that is making things messy

thanks again :)

16. Wince99 macrumors newbie

Wince99

check the version...

check your version of iTunes and compare it with your friends'. Some versions are not compatible (eg. 4.0 with 5.0 if I recall). If everyone gets the latest version, it should work fine.

Hope that helps...

17. bowdeni thread starter macrumors member

Using a windows laptop at the same terminal point, and it sees the music!

so it is definately my mac at fault!!!

18. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Check your network settings with the control panel too. You may need to enable file sharing.
    I got a sweet 'lil Java app last year when my girlfriend living in uni halls that allowed you to copy music from peoples shared playlists (without them knowing :D). I got lots of music that way.

When iTunes 4 was first introduced you could copy music from shared playlists just as you copy songs onto an iPod - it was a standard feature. You could even connect to remote computers and download songs. Spymac even started a iTunes music network. Unfortunately, it didn't last very long (damn lawsuits), and the ability to do such a thing was removed with the introduction of iTunes 4.1 :(

19. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Have you tried temporarily disabling your firewall? Perhaps something there is misbehaving.

20. bowdeni thread starter macrumors member

use 'ourtunes' to steal music. that is what we are using.

As for the firewall, it is disabled.

21. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Hmmmm...so are you having problems with iTunes or ourTunes?

I thought this sounded funny...

22. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

That's exactly what I used! :D

23. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

Do other Bonjour services work, such as printer sharing?

24. bowdeni thread starter macrumors member

To let everyone know.... I fixed it!

I got it to work by enabling other users to use the internet connection on my mac. by ticking ethernet, it suddenly works!

BIG thanks to all those who helped me do this :)