itunes on jailbroken iphone??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willaug, Feb 28, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 28, 2009
    Can i use itunes and the app store, ect. on my jailbroken 2g iphone without losing my jailbreak?? I want to start an itunes account and get an app off the appstore that i cant find a 3rd party equal to, but i dont want to do it at the risk of screwing up my jailbreak.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Sep 22, 2007
    itunes can't tell if you've jailbroken the device or not
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2009
    a boat
    if you use itunes after jailbreaking apple will find you. and they will kill you.
  4. macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2009
    Exactly the reason I am not jailbroken. :p

But no, using iTunes and the App Store on a Jailbroken iPhone is just like using it on a normal iPhone. They can not trace it, that we know of at least.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2008
  6. macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2007
    Actually, iTunes can recognize jailbroken phone if you have a new Uni-Body MacBooks.

They built this recognition on the new MacBook to prevent jailbroken iPhone from syncing, and even CHARGING your phone.

However, PwnageTool people got it figured out, so it should be okay.
  7. macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2008
    You are flat-out wrong.

1) The problems with entering DFU mode with unibody MacBooks have nothing to do with whether or not the phone is jailbroken. It's due to a bug in the USB drivers/chipsets that shipped with these models.

2) Charging can be done from any USB host, regardless of whether or not the software recognizes the phone. If it provides 5.5V@100mA-500mA over USB, then the iPhone can charge from it.

Thanks for playing.