iTunes on the external hard drive:Delete from Mac HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SumoFisherman, Jul 10, 2006.

1. SumoFisherman macrumors newbie

SumoFisherman

Now that I have everything transfered over to my external HD can I just drag the entire iTunes folder that is on the Mac HD (in Documents) to the Trash and empty it? Is there anything I should be aware of with doing this?
    Any help & tips would be apreciated!
    The Sumo:eek:

2. 21stcenturykid macrumors 6502

u need to tell itunes where to read the library from otherwise itll copy it back to ur main HD but im guessing u allready did that....so thats the itunes music folder. erm if it was me i would burn data disks of it to dvd's maybe jst as a backup jst incase. thats your choice though. thats my advice dried up haha!

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I moved all of my music, plus the iTunes library data files, to an external drive, and then in my home folder, I trashed the music folder, and made an alias, called "Music" that points to the external drive. Works great, and since the alias exists on both my G5 and PowerBook, all I have to do is plug the drive into either and can listen to my music

4. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

A fisherman in NM? Say it ain't so!
    I would suggest copying the library files to your folder on your external as well so that you can have all the playlists and ratings backed up for the future.

5. SumoFisherman thread starter macrumors newbie

SumoFisherman

Thanks guys. How do I create the alias (and where) and make it point to the EHDD? Also, can I transfer everything from my Documents and Users folders over to the EHDD? Or is that a bad idea? I've been trying to free up as much space as possible on the internal and have already transfered some of my Users files, photos, etc. What else can I send to the EHDD to help?
    By the way...my apologies to WildCowboy. While I was posting in Mac Basics I didn't notice I had gotten replies over here. Thanks.

6. SumoFisherman thread starter macrumors newbie

SumoFisherman

Thanks xyian, tons of fishing to do in NM, most people think we're just desert:rolleyes: . I got all the Playlists, etc over to the drive, thanks. I just need to figure out this whole "alias" thing out. Any tips?:D

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No problem...just wanted to alert you that had some replies in your thread and things can get messy when people are replying to duplicate threads.

Here is what yg17 is talking about: Once you've moved all of your music to the external, you probably have a folder called "Music" or something like that that contains all of your songs and iTunes-related files. You also have a "Music" folder on your internal drive that you essentially don't need anymore.

If you go ahead and delete the internal "Music" folder, then right click or control-click on the "Music" folder on your external drive and select "Make Alias" from the contextual menu. Drag that alias to your internal hard drive, possibly right inside your user folder where the old "Music" folder was. Then go to iTunes --> Preferences --> Advanced --> General and make sure that your "iTunes Music folder location" is set to the alias you just created.

I don't have an external drive for my music, but I think the reason you don't just set the external drive as the iTunes folder location is that I think iTunes complains if you open it without your external drive attached because it wouldn't be able to find your music. The alias on your internal will always be present, making iTunes happy...it's just a matter of whether the alias is pointing to anything or not depending on your external's status. Don't quote me on this last part though.

8. SumoFisherman thread starter macrumors newbie

SumoFisherman

Thanks WC, I try all that. I've run out of time for now, but I'll give it a shot in a hour or so. Are you going to be on here later, in case I run into problems doing that? Or will this thread stay open for awhile in case I need help? Thanks all you guys for the help, this site rocks!
    The Sumo:cool:

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep, this thread will be here...I may or may not be around later this evening, but there are lots of knowledgeable people around here in the evenings, so feel free to add to your thread if you have problems.

10. SumoFisherman thread starter macrumors newbie

SumoFisherman

Ok, so I tried all that. But afterwards, when I pulled up iTunes it was all blank, even after putting the alias as the location folder in prefences. So I ended up just pulling that original Music folder out of the trash and put it back, and sent the location folder back to the EHDD iTunes folder. It's working again. But I still don't know how to free up that space on the internal HD. I must be missing something?
    The Sumo:confused:

11. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

Did you put the alias in while iTunes was shut? You have to "trick" iTunes by shifting the music folder and replacing it with an alias while it's not looking. Then when it starts up it goes to the last place it thought the music folder was (in your music folder) and follows the alias to the EHD. If you had iTunes open when you moved the original to the trash, it knows that's where it went and will still be looking for it there (but maybe it won't open because it's in the trash)

Also, if you open iTunes and the EHD is off it will get upset that the music isn't where it thought it was (because the alias doesn't work) and will go back to the default location. The default location is [User folder] > Music > iTunes > iTunes Music.

Set up the alias not in place of the Music folder itself but in place of the "iTunes Music" folder (and make sure you call it that). Leave your iTunes Library file on the internal HD (in the default location [User folder] > Music > iTunes). This way, if you ever open iTunes with the EHD off, it won't screw up the music location and the library file will open normally (but the tracks won't play when you click on them because they're on the EHD...)

Does that make ANY sense? :eek:

12. SumoFisherman thread starter macrumors newbie

SumoFisherman

Aha! TaDa! Thank you sooo much! That did the trick. Is there anything else I need to do in order to have music downloaded to the iTunes folder on the EHD or does it know where to go now? Thanks again, you guys really know your stuff!
    The Sumo:D

13. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I have all my iTunes music (130 gigs) on my external, and I just set the library location in iTunes to my External, and it's fine...but I never disconnect my external....so....

14. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

It should put ripped music into the EHD folder by default now. If you check the box under Prefs > Advanced for "Copy when adding to Library", it will also copy any music to the EHD that you add from any other source (like a folder on your desktop or whatever).

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

what about 2 users or 2 computers sharing the same library? can they write to the library file at the same time?

16. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

don't know... give it a try and report back. Sounds like recipe for disaster to me, but you never know. If it does work, it won't "live" update when the second iTunes makes a change, but it might show the change when you click on the track...

17. SumoFisherman thread starter macrumors newbie

SumoFisherman

Thanks everyone...I really apprieciate the help!
    The Sumo:cool:

18. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i couldn't get it to work. when one user has it open, the other user can't even open itunes because the library file is locked. any ideas? i thought some people around here share libraries with 2 computers or more? it should be the same concept, i think

19. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

My fiancée and I share a library between users on our iBook at home with no problem. I'll have to check and see how I structured it...I set it up a couple of years ago and don't remember how I did it.

20. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks alot. that would help me out a lot. does yours both write to the library file at the same time?

21. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Okay, I just checked into how I set things up. We do NOT share a Library file, but the music is all in one place. The music is set up to be in a folder called Music within the Shared user folder, and then each of us have a Library file in our users' Music --> iTunes folder.

It works perfectly fine for our needs, but it's not completely seamless. When one user adds music, the other user's library doesn't see it automatically. But I just periodically use "Add to Library" and click the Shared --> Music folder and it checks to see if it needs to add anything. Playlists are also not shared (which can be a good or bad thing).

22. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

oh ok. well thanks for letting me know. i can do that with mine, just trying to see if anyone had actually shared the library file. i'll keep keep looking i guess