iTunes on your Wii?!

Discussion in 'Games' started by e²Studios, Dec 20, 2006.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

2. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I don't think it will happen because Apple wouldn't want the Wii to water down their iTV sales, but if it did it could potentially be the best move Apple or Nintendo ever made. Apple is weak in the gaming market and Nintendo is week in the multimedia market.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I agree about not thinking it will happen because of iTV. However, while Apple may be weak in the gaming market and Nintendo may be weak in the multimedia market, I fail to see how iTunes on Wii would help Apple in the gaming market.

4. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

You have a good point but there may be some benefits such as Nintendo properties being available on the Mac platform that could be used as bargaining chips...Game Cube titles run on PPC chips so it might not be too hard to port them to OS X and Nintendo has already made their money on them. Also, the games are Ok on the iPod but it would be cool to port some classic Nintendo titles to the iPod as well. Certainly, it wouldn't hurt anything...

Apple computers, especially in the last few years, have been very weak in the gaming arena. I really think that partnering with a gaming company or adding gaming functionality as an extension of their "your television is an extension of your PC" idea is an important part of owning the living room...but maybe I'm wrong...Certainly, I think having a wider variety and better games available on the Macintosh platform would expand the platform as a whole, whether that be in the living room or on the desktop.

Also, there is at least some value in Apple backing the gaming console that is not Microsoft or Sony. If the Xbox 360 or PS3 win the battle for the living room it is bad for Apple in that Quicktime and the Macintosh platform as a whole are weakened. Partnering with Nintendo wouldn't hurt Apple as I don't see them going into the console market any time soon...

Also, Steve said before that Apple's stategy is to get your iPod in your living room/car heck everywhere. They have shown that they are willing to partner to do this with the car interfaces. iTunes on a game console would probably be a good idea to compete with the Xbox Live Marketplace unless they have plans of making the iTV a game console eventually, which I doubt that they do.

I would think if Apple and Nintendo actually sat down at a bargaining table it wouldn't take them long to see that a partnership would be beneficial to both parties...Steve's Pixar/Disney connections probably woudn't hurt either...

The major obstacles that I see to making this happen would be cultural differences between a traditional Japanese gaming company and Apple's Silicon Valley roots, and the lack of a hard drive for the Wii. The hard drive is easy to fix since the Wii has USB ports but I'm not sure about the cultural divide.

Sorry, I know this post is a mess but there are too many good ideas and not enough lines to write them in. A potential partnership with Nintendo and Apple is something to be very excited about in my mind...Too bad, I'm skeptical it will ever happen.