iTunes or iTunes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Diskdoctor, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Diskdoctor macrumors newbie

I am new to mac. A friend talked me in to buying a mac pro. Its fine only as hard as i try I can't find a stand alone media player...Can someone help me...
    On my pc i use winamp...but there is a lot to choose from for eg.. jet audio, juke box, windows media player,Quintessential player, Sonique, and many many more.... with mac i found itunes or itunes or itunes or of course itunes... :mad:
    is there anything else? Ok itunes players my mp3s fine and dose it job but were are the cool plugins and skins....winamp looks like a little stereo on my desktop...itune looks like a web page... :rolleyes:
    may be i just like the winamp eye candy...buts whats wrong with that? :)

2. cbetta macrumors regular

dude, switch your iTunes to cover flow mode... whatch THAT eye candy!

3. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Audion had many faces, some of them very nice. It is now a discontinued product though.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Songbird is really buggy right now, but when its ready, I think it could really challenge iTunes for users who don't use the store. I mean, firefox is killing safari, and even if this doesn't damage iTunes' share, it could give Apple a kick up the backside to include skins and other cool features.

5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Don't forget QuickTime for all your audio needs :D

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I never heard of this, but I just looked and think it's amazing. Wow. I'm going to give that a try...

7. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

It's rather slow and buggy. It also does basically exactly what iTunes does but without being able to play all the songs I've bought so it's iTunes for me.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Skins are cool. And I thought that a built-in browser was unnecessary and gimmicky, but its actually quite cool, I'm still an iTunes user though, maybe not for long...

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Also try iTunes' minimized mode out -- click the green ball in the upper left. The truth, though, is that the whole business of really only having one good app that does a certain thing, and only really does it in one way, is kind of core to Macs... it's not a coincidence that Macs don't have thirty different music players.... now that you not only bought a Mac, but bought an insanely expensive one, try spending a little time with Apple software being used in the designed way and really give it a try before you try to make your Mac act just like Windows... I say that as a switcher... I bought my first Mac less than three years ago.

10. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

I'd absolutely agree. Great point!:)

11. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

IMO, Nothing special.

iTunes all the way baby.

12. Diskdoctor thread starter macrumors newbie

ok I have just looked at songbird its itunes in a diffrent rapper.....iTune was made to interface with a ipod and itunes store....This is fine if i had a ipod or i used itunes to buy music but i don't... i use other places ( we won't say ) :rolleyes:

I would write a player myself as i have done before with visual basic...but real basic for the mac is not even close to VB so I will have to lean how to program in that too...

With winamp I can take a song a friend as give me on my USB drive and just drag it to winamp and play it..then if i like it I can copy it to my music folder...

with itunes well i have no need to tell you...

this is what i meen when i say a stand alone media player.. You can't get itunes to look like this..

Attached Files:

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, ahem, erm, yeah...erm...*gulp*

You're on your own with that. :eek:

14. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

If that's what you want I suggest you beg the WinAMP team to make another Mac verson. They had one back in the days of OS 9.

15. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

If it sucks less RAM than iTunes 7 does, I'm sold...

16. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

that songbird looks solid. i cant wait for it to be ready

17. Diskdoctor thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i no they did and if mac was backwards compatable it would still work today...thats why there is very little software for macs...if you upgrade your computer... all you old software won't work...

This is all so why it take so long for apple to make there new macs because thay have to release new software with them....

Expensive keeping a mac.....

18. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

This isn't quite true.

OS 9 => OS X (Classic Apps Work)
    OS X => OS X Intel (OS X PPC apps work, Classic Apps don't)

Carbon ports are not that difficult. It would not have taken that long to develop a Mac OS X version of WinAmp from the OS 9 version.

It would then have to be updated to a universal binary, but again Apple has tried to make this as easy as possible for developers.

19. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

That's not true, Macs are completely backward compatible. Especially the PPC Macs (like mine and a lot of other peoples'). The only reason the newer ones can't run OS 9 is that they use Intel processors so you would have to double emulate to get back to OS 9 (Intel > PPC > Classic) this would make it dog slow and close to unusable. Furthermore, most of the OS 9 software has had support dropped by the developers for years, many of them have had OS X versions released which again makes OS 9 useless.

20. Diskdoctor thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a new intel mac and i have found loads of my friends software will not work on my mac....he as a power pc G5 2.7 water cooled thing...

but I thing we are going off i little here i just asked if there was a stand alone media player like winamp for the mac.. because with the mac you can use itunes or itunes or yes you guessed it itunes..

someone said try songbird so i downloaded it and can you spot the diffrence?
    its just itunes in a new suit...I just hope someone can help me find something else...

Attached Files:

21. Diskdoctor thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for Mplayer....its a start a have tryed VLC...its not very good...but it looks like there isn't a player for mac that is a good as winamp :(

22. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

23. Diskdoctor thread starter macrumors newbie

well strip me naked and call me susan... you did it yes it works winamp on a mac.. os x if i hadn't done it i wouldn't beleave it...many thanks..

just in case anyone wishes to no I run a intel mac pro
    and it works...

again many thanks

24. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Perhaps you should try learning how to use iTunes before making that judgement. iTunes is so much better than winamp.

Just preview the file right in the Finder, and if you want to keep it, drag and drop it into iTunes. Done.