iTunes Organization

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dylan, Apr 3, 2006.

1. dylan macrumors 6502

Well currently I have my entire music library on my external drive. After finally getting an iPod I found that my library needed serious retagging so i took everything off and started fresh with just full albums and some single songs I really like. Now when I did this I should have set the iTunes folder to a folder on the internal hard drive but I didn't so now i have one folder with both the songs actually in my iTunes database and the rest of the songs.

I would like to move just the songs that are in iTunes to my internal drive and leave the rest on the external. This would allow me to have only the music I need on the computer while still keeping the rest.

Does anyone know how one would go about this? I don't have enough room on the internal to move my entire collection over.

To sum it up I just need to copy my current iTunes Library to my internal hard drive from the external without all the other files that are mingled into the "iTunes Music" folder.

I hope this all makes sense it's kind of hard to explain.

2. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

No guarantee for the following solution:

First, backup the two small files inside the iTunes folder (just in case). They are called "iTunes Library" and "iTunes Music Library".

Then choose (cmd-a) all the songs in your library (the ones you want to copy) and drag and drop them to the (obviously currently empty) iTunes folder on your internal HD. This could take some time.

Afterwards, quit iTunes and erase the two small files inside the iTunes folder.

After starting iTunes again, the iTunes window will be empty. :eek:

Then, choose "Add to Library" and choose the whole internal iTunes folder. The copied music will show up inside the iTunes window. :) Make sure to check the "Keep my music/folders organised" box in the Preferences, otherwise there will be no folder structure in the iTunes folder (inside the Music folder).

I guess that's what you want to do.

Drawback: you will loose all the playcounts and playlists.

Let us know if it worked.

3. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Or just don't ... :)