iTunes & OS X sound problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tucom, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

For some reason, when playing music through Quicktime, it sounds alot better than it does through iTunes, don't know why, but its starting to get really aggrivating.

Also, in Audio MIDI Setup in Utilities, would I get better sound reproduction quality if I set my line out from 44.1Khz and 16bit to 48.0Khz 24 bit?

When I do so, I feel I noitce slightly better mid range and treble, but recessed bass, is this becuase there's less bass distortion? Please fill me in on this

Thanks
    Peace

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Well I have tried the same song in QT and in iTunes and find that there is a little bit of difference but I solely attribute this to the equalizer setting (rock) that I have turned on in iTunes. IMO I think iTunes sounds better. Do you have QT Pro installed? If you do then check out the A/V Controller (under Windows menu) in QT. As for making a direct comparison you can turn off the equalizer in iTunes, but again I noticed no real difference with that.

As for increasing the sample rate and resolution of your QT MIDI sound it won't make any difference with your MP3's, as they are not MIDI. It would probably make a good difference when using MIDI programs though.

As we often say for Audiophiles: It's all in your head.

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

In iTunes, go into Preference > Playback and un-tick Sound Enhancer. Also un-tick Sound Check. Click OK.

Don't enable any EQ settings in iTunes. It does sound terrible when you do that! Click the EQ icon, from the drop down menu choose FLAT, and also untick the box that says ON.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

A lot of people think it sounds worse with the EQ turned on? I am not sure why this is? Although I do understand that the mix of the music from the studio is how it should be heard without any filtering there are limitations to the speakers that you use VS. the speakers that the music was mixed on. Not to mention that the frequency response for the PCM encoding of CD's (and inevitably of MP3) does not amplify all Octaves equally.

I say EQ-ing is a good thing.

5. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

Thanks all for the fast replys, but none of them are helpful :(

I never had the iTunes EQ turned on, as I know it colors the music, and I don't have the sound enhancer turned on either.

Yes I do have Quicktime 7 Pro installed, and when I played an Mp3 file from online, it sounded more clearer and not so muffled then when I played it though iTunes.

Its as if the files are compressed when playing through iTunes, but not on Quicktime 7 Pro

Any other suggestions?

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

EQing is definitely bad for the sound....

Play something with a double bass, and then turn the bass controls up. Listen as the Double Bass turns into a bass guitar...

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ok, I'll agree with you on that one. I suppose what I mean is a little EQing is not so bad, and that is what I think. I'm not suggesting you EQ more than 3dB per octave.

8. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

9. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

do any of you know if when music is played through quicktime, is there a treble booster automatically turned on? Music just seems to sound more THERE in quicktime than in iTunes, really dissapointing

Thanks

Peace

P.S more help would be vastly appreciated

10. iMacFan78 macrumors regular

iMacFan78

11. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

iTunes uses Quicktime to play the music as does Quicktime Player, so it should be possible to make them sound exactly the same, at least technically, but how to do the settings in the two front ends to Quicktime to accomplish it I don't know.

12. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

its with all songs, and no, its not all in my head, theres a noticably difference.

It sounds clearer and cleaner on Quicktime, on iTunes the exact same file sounds muffled.

Still trying to troubleshoot it and really appreciate your guys's help, would like it to keep commin' ;)

Thanks
    Peace

13. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

Lol, I think I just figured it out, dunno why, but I think it has to do with the volume. When I turned the Quicktime players volume to about half-way, it sounded identical to iTunes.

Hmmmm

14. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

They say that becuase when listening to MP3's, some Equalizer configurations (such as setting high the frequensies that are above 1KHz) will result in showing the audio loss that occures when using MP3's. The drums in each song tend to get ugly when messing with the EQ.

But that's not a problem with the EQ, it's a problem with audio conversions. The higher the bitrate of the audio file, the better job done by the Equalizer.